I did a google image search for the “armour of God.” It’s extraordinary the number of diagrams and pictures devoted to this theme. For our instruction and entertainment (well, actually more for our entertainment), I’ll show you a selection.
• They normally involve someone decked out somewhat like a Roman legionary – something like this. There’ll be labels pointing out the belt of truth and the helmet of salvation and things like that.
• Other people put in a big effort and hire all manner of costumes and weapons. I particularly like this one. They’ve gone to a lot of trouble to get all the right equipment here so that it looks authentic, but if you look closely you’ll see his sandals are attached with Velcro!
• Others forget the whole historical context of the First Century Mediterranean world and instead have a picture of a medieval knight in full plate armour, like this one.
• Others seem even more confused (baseballer)
• It’s apparently a big hit in children’s ministry – I’m sure when I was growing up I made some cardboard shields and swords based on Ephesians 6. There’s plenty of pictures like this all over the net of Sunday School classes decked out in their home-made armour. This one was captioned “God’s little soldiers”. I remember thinking as a child, if God’s armour is really as effective as this piece of flimsy cardboard, then I’m in trouble.
• This was a little card given out to children at one church in America, something they could check off every day to make sure they were protected.
• There’s the templates and colouring in sheets for the kids’ club craft.
• There’s an armour of God board game, though I’m not quite sure of the rules!
• Perhaps the most bizarre is the his-and-hers armour of God pyjama set. Complete with shield of faith pillow. Only $39.95 plus shipping! I can do a bulk order if anyone is interested!
There’s a veritable industry out there!
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by John Hamby on Jul 15, 2002
“At approximately 3:20 on the morning of March 13, 1964, twenty-eight-year-old …(Kitty) Genovese was returning to her home in a nice middle-class area of Queens, NY…. She parked her ….(car) in a nearby parking lot, turned-off the lights and started the walk to her second floor apartment some 35 ...read more
Contributed by Jim Kane on Jul 11, 2002
In their devotional guide, Experiencing God Day-By-Day, Henry and Richard Blackaby ask the question, “Are you satisfied with merely knowing the acts of God or do you also want to know His ways? This is a question that requires an answer and the ...read more
Contributed by Martin Kim on Dec 28, 2004
“If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent an educator. If our greatest need had been technology, God would have sent a scientist. If our greatest need had been money, God would have sent an economist. But, our ...read more
Contributed by Jerry Flury on Jul 17, 2004
It’s what you do--not when you do it. Ted Williams, at age 42, slammed a home run in his last official time at bat. Mickey Mantle, age 20, hit 23 home runs his first full year in the major leagues. Golda Meir was 71 when she became Prime Minister of Israel. William Pitt II was 24 when he became ...read more
Contributed by Charlie Roberts on Jul 2, 2012
The devil has been hard at work attacking fathers all across the globe, for thousands of years, Because he knows the word, he knows the significance of the word and the significance of something that God instructs us to do.
Contributed by Tony Abram on Apr 7, 2013
SIX THINGS GOD HAS CALLED US FROM TO DO AND HAVE! In this sermon outline we share 6 different calls from God to our hearts and live to give us strength to run the race and have the victory in our lives. Many times we are so busy we do not here God callin
Contributed by Dennis Davidson on Mar 28, 2013
Proverbs 27:23-27 portrays the wondrous interplay of diligent work on our part & faithful watch-care [or providence] as God's part. God has placed return in our work but has given man the responsibility to be diligent in order to extract it. Because God'