3. THE REBELUTION:
Some Christian guys (the Harris brothers) created a website and group designed to lead people to Christ and to correct some wrongs in society. On their website at therebelution.com they have done one of the greatest polls ever done on the issue of clothes and modesty. They asked 100s of questions to thousands of men, and got what the American male sees as modest and immodest. Would you like the results?
*We have to realize that this information may have an impact on how some girls feel (technically that is good). But it does pinpoint sin to one gender. Just mention that if we were doing a lesson on touch or choice words or other stuff that is more geared towards males, the opposite affect would take place.
**Also, just because a majority of men think something is immodest, it does not necessarily mean that. Of course the opposite is also true, just because few men think something is immodest, doesn’t make it so.
This is going to be given to you ladies so you can have some understanding as to what men think, cool?
Suggestion: keep track of all of those higher than 40% (or those lower than 60% if it is a reverse statement):
THE QUESTIONS (ALL ANSWERS ARE DIVIDED INTO AGREE/DISAGREE):
1. Modesty is an important feature for a future wife to have. 95.4% Agree
2. You have less respect for an immodest girl than a modest one. 75.6% Agree
3. Character, intelligent, and personality are more important than physical beauty. 91.1% Agree
4. Zipping a form-fitting jacket just below the chest draws too much attention to the bust. 56.8% Agree
5. Denim jackets with faded sections on the chest draw too much attention to the bust. 31.9% Agree
6. Leotards, sheer skirts, and tutus in theatre or dance performances are immodest. 35.8% Agree
7. Immodest clothing is less of a problem for you when a friend wears it. 14.3% Agree
8. A technically modest outfit can be a stumbling block when it has attached sexual 61.8% Agree
associations (such as Brittney Spears wearing a school girl outfit)
9. It is okay for girls to wear tighter and/or more revealing clothes if they are working out. 26.3% Agree
10. Showing any cleavage is immodest. 70.4% Agree
11. Bending over so that cleavage is visible down the front of the shirt/dress is a stumbling 89.8% Agree block.
12. It is a stumbling block when a girl reaches into her shirt to adjust her bra strap. 65.4% Agree
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Abraham Shanklin on Jun 11, 2003
There is a story of a woodpecker who was pecking on a tree. Just as he flew away, lightning hit the tree and split it right down the middle. The woodpecker heard the noise, turned back, and said, “Look what I did!” A lot of us are like spiritual woodpeckers. We walk around consciously and ...read more
Contributed by Charles R. Swindoll on Sep 29, 2004
When G. Campbell Morgan was a young Christian he used to visit several elderly ladies once a week to read the Bible to them. When he came to the end of Matthew’s Gospel, Morgan read, "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age." He added, "Isn’t that a wonderful ...read more
Contributed by Larry Brincefield on Jun 11, 2003
It was said that Martin Luther was observing a painting of the crucifixion of Jesus... and he was so deeply moved that he ...read more
Contributed by Rick Davis on Jun 11, 2003
TWENTY WAYS TO ENCOURAGE YOUR CHILDREN TO USE DRUGS AND BECOME HOODLUMS,TRAMPS AND REBELS. 1. Never eat together as a family. 2. Never have weekly, monthly, or annual family outings that they can look forward to as a family unit. 3. Talk to your children, ...read more
Contributed by Jeremy Houck on Jan 15, 2005
The prince of Grenada, an heir to the Spanish crown, was sentenced to life in solitary confinement in Madrid’s ancient prison called "The Place of the Skull." The fearful, dirty, and dreary nature of the place earned it the name. Everyone knew that once you were in, you would never come out alive. ...read more
Contributed by Connail Johnson on Nov 10, 2010
Women today are more resourceful, more resilient, & more respected than ever before. But even in all this a woman still has needs. She still has an appetite. Her diet may have changed over the years, but due to her make-up, the woman of the 21st century s