On a lighter side here are some things that wise people like me like to ponder:
1. Why is there a best before date on Sour Cream?
2. Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all"?
3. Why are cigarettes sold in gas stations when smoking is prohibited there?
4. If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
5. Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
6. If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?
7. Why do banks charge you a "in-sufficient funds fee" on money they already know you don't have?
8. Why do we wash bath towels? Aren't we clean when we use them?
9. If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
10. And if Solomon was the wisest man to have ever lived, then why did he end out his life so poorly?
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Donald Smith on Apr 24, 2003
A story is told about a famous preacher long ago who pastored a church that was filled every Sunday by people who traveled miles on foot just to hear his messages. One day, as the church was emptying, a passerby asked one of the people in the church why this preacher’s messages were so compelling. ...read more
Contributed by Michael Mccartney on Apr 24, 2003
Quest Study Bible notes this about the question,” What changed at this pivotal point in history?” The resurrection vindicated Jesus’ claims about himself, that he was the Son of God in the flesh, the fulfillment of God’s dealings with humankind. No longer would people have to follow rules and ...read more
Contributed by Tom Lovorn on Jun 9, 2003
Cartoonist Joe McKeever has drawn a group of tourists looking at the Garden tomb in Jerusalem. It’s an open tomb where the stone door has been rolled away. Their guide says, "The angel moved the stone to reveal an empty tomb ...read more
Contributed by Charles Wilkerson on Nov 14, 2003
In, The Horse Whisperer, Tom Booker, has a gift when it comes to what he calls "gentling" horses. In one telling scene, a traumatized horse, frightened by a ringing cell phone, gallops off into the far end of a large pasture. Booker walks into the pasture and sits down, where he waits for what ...read more
Contributed by David Schaal on May 20, 2004
A natural example of this point can be found by looking at the two seas in the Holy Land. The Sea of Galilee freely receives and gives out water. It has an abundance of life, nurturing many different kinds of fish and plant life. The water from the Sea of Galilee is carried by way of the Jordan ...read more
Contributed by Tunde Alli on Feb 16, 2012
Most Christians have substituted God's truth for facts. They believe facts rather than the truth of the word of God. Facts never set anyone free, truth does.