LETTER OF REFERENCE
There's a story about a Jewish man;
* Who applied to work for First International Bank of Israel;
* That bank asked for a letter of recommendation;
* And the young Jewish man put down his Rabbi to be the reference.
* The Rabbi wrote, 'His father came from the distinguished 'Goldburg' family;
* His mother was from the respected 'Abraham's'.
* Further back there was a happy blend of 'Rosengurg's, Stienburg's & Levenburg's",
* In other words this young man is from good Jewish stock.
* Several days later the First International Bank of Israel,
* Sent a note to the Rabbi saying:
* The information supplied was altogether inadequate. It continued:
* "We are not contemplating using the young man for breeding purposes. Just for work."
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Jonathan Busch on Aug 18, 2002
A woman went to the doctors office, where she was seen by one of the new doctors, but after about 4 minutes in the examination room, she burst out, screaming as she ran down the hall. An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and she told him her story. After listening, he had her ...read more
Contributed by David Schaal on May 20, 2004
A natural example of this point can be found by looking at the two seas in the Holy Land. The Sea of Galilee freely receives and gives out water. It has an abundance of life, nurturing many different kinds of fish and plant life. The water from the Sea of Galilee is carried by way of the Jordan ...read more
Contributed by David Elvery on Nov 14, 2004
There was once a Christian celebration on the west coast of Africa, when converted natives brought of their meager possessions to show their devotion to Christ, a young girl only recently saved from paganism brought a silver coin worth about eighty-five cents, and handed this to the missionary as ...read more
Contributed by Jason Cole on Mar 15, 2004
Four high school boys were late to their morning classes one day. They entered the classroom and solemnly told their teacher they were detained due to a flat tire. The sympathetic teacher smiled and told them it was too bad they were late because they had missed a test that morning. But she was ...read more
What Kids Need PRO
Contributed by Lyn King on Jun 15, 2002
WHAT KIDS NEED Today’s kids desperately need Dads who: . . . play catch, enjoy tea parties or wrestle because the heart of a child is there and they set out to capture it. . . . laugh till their belly hurts and tears fall from their eyes while secretly creating deep friendships and memories ...read more
Contributed by Dennis Davidson on May 17, 2012
Reproof is a very positive use of speech, provided it's motivated by love and directed by wisdom. Rebuke is not pleasant to our fallen nature but we learn to value it for the results it brings. The best and wisest of us falls short and has much to learn &
Contributed by Guy Glass on Aug 16, 2010
Last week we looked at a portion of the life of Joseph, and in the process God revelaed through Joseph’s life the Character of a Godly Man. With that said, I would llike to draw our attention to Psalm 1. It is here that we can uncover some of the founda