Quote: William Hershey Davis
• "Reputation is what you are supposed to be;
• Character is what you are.
• Reputation is what you have when you come to a new community;
• Character is what you have when you go away.
• Reputation is made in a moment;
• Character is built in a lifetime.
• Reputation grows like a mushroom;
• Character grows like an oak.
• Your reputation is learned in an hour;
• Your character is does not come to light for a year.
• A single newspaper report gives your reputation;
• A life of toil gives you your character.
• Reputation makes you rich or makes you poor;
• Character makes you happy or makes you miserable.
• Reputation is what men say about you on your tombstone;
• Character is what angels say about you before the throne of God.
• Your character is what God knows you to be.
• Your reputation is what men think you are."
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by David Elvery on Nov 14, 2004
There was once a Christian celebration on the west coast of Africa, when converted natives brought of their meager possessions to show their devotion to Christ, a young girl only recently saved from paganism brought a silver coin worth about eighty-five cents, and handed this to the missionary as ...read more
Contributed by Jonathan Busch on Aug 18, 2002
A woman went to the doctors office, where she was seen by one of the new doctors, but after about 4 minutes in the examination room, she burst out, screaming as she ran down the hall. An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and she told him her story. After listening, he had her ...read more
Contributed by David Schaal on May 20, 2004
A natural example of this point can be found by looking at the two seas in the Holy Land. The Sea of Galilee freely receives and gives out water. It has an abundance of life, nurturing many different kinds of fish and plant life. The water from the Sea of Galilee is carried by way of the Jordan ...read more
What Kids Need PRO
Contributed by Lyn King on Jun 15, 2002
WHAT KIDS NEED Today’s kids desperately need Dads who: . . . play catch, enjoy tea parties or wrestle because the heart of a child is there and they set out to capture it. . . . laugh till their belly hurts and tears fall from their eyes while secretly creating deep friendships and memories ...read more
Contributed by Charles Whatley on May 20, 2004
Although little known in American churches, St. Lawrence has been sculptured, painted and crafted in bronze or stained glass more often than almost any other Saint of the Christian Church. In England alone, more than 250 churches are named for him, as are six in Rome. St. Lawrence was martyred ...read more
Contributed by Dennis Davidson on May 17, 2012
Reproof is a very positive use of speech, provided it's motivated by love and directed by wisdom. Rebuke is not pleasant to our fallen nature but we learn to value it for the results it brings. The best and wisest of us falls short and has much to learn &
Contributed by Kelly Benton on Apr 29, 2010
To share that cheating doesn’t help you in life as the world tells us. It hurts us in the end.