ANOINTING AND THE HOLY SPIRIT
In Scripture there seems to be a parallel in the operation of the Holy Spirit and anointing oil:
1. Anointing. The act of anointing indicated the bestowal of authorization through the spirit to act in certain capacities.
a. The anointing symbolized the empowerment of the individual by the Spirit to fulfill His divine calling.
2. Kings were anointed. The kings of Israel anointed (1 Samuel 10:1; 16:13).
3. Priests were anointed. In establishing a priesthood for Israel, not only was Aaron anointed (Leviticus 8:12), his sons were too (Numbers 3:3). The unity of the priesthood’s anointing with the high priest is nicely expressed in Psalm 133:1, 2.
a. Throughout the Old Testament we see oil being used for holy purposes. The priests were consecrated and ordained unto God as oil was poured upon their heads … "Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him" (Exodus 29:7 - see also Leviticus 8).
b. During such ceremonies oil was used abundantly, for it ran down the priest's beard and clothing … "It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments" (Psalm 133:2).
c. The large quantity of oil used reminds us of the New Testament Baptism in the Spirit.
i. So we seek to immersed in water baptism rather than sprinkled.
4. A Prophet was anointed. The only biblical example was when Elijah was told to anoint Elisha as his successor (1 Kings 19:16).
6. Christians Today: The same anointing he had is passed on to the Christian’s authorizing the church as his body to spread the good tidings in his name.
Contributed by John Braland on Oct 18, 2006
What is the Holy Spirit? What is it’s function and what do I need to know about it? Millions of peopel equate the Holy Spirit with the Force found in the Star Wars movies. Why is that? This message will eduate non-Christians and equip believers as to