Contributed on Aug 11, 2016
This sermon begins the series in which we want to encounter and honor God in our lives and church. The only real satisfaction we have in life is God. Everything else is a poor substitute.
1. If She Doesn't Hurry... When J. K. Rowling was having trouble finishing her fifth Harry Potter book, her fans grew impatient. One was quoted as saying, "If she doesn't hurry, we're going to move on to caring about something else." That reflects our age. Our attention spans are short, and we want ...read more
Contributed on Nov 30, 2016
This is the final lesson of the series. It is a reminder for us to embrace our discipleship and boldly share the good news of our King.
1. Series Review -- Close Encounter of the Holy Kind a. We have a universal longing for God -- Ecclesiastes 3.11 b. His singular provision is his glory/presence within and among us c. We have a common access to that glory in and through the church d. The Epic Failure of Many Churches -- ...read more
Contributed on Oct 26, 2016
Prayer, in fact crying out to God, is crucial to his presence with us.
1. Series Review -- Close Encounter of the Holy Kind a. We have a universal longing for God -- Ecclesiastes 3.11 b. His singular provision is his glory/presence within and among us c. We have a common access to that glory in and through the church d. The Epic Failure of Many Churches -- Loss of ...read more
Contributed on Aug 15, 2016
The presence and glory of God make us distinct!
1. We have a common need -- Ecclesiastes 3.11 2. We try to fill the God-shaped hole in our hears as seen in our pursuits: a. High Risk Adventure -- "BASE Jumping" = Buildings, Antennas, Spans, Earth -- Fall and pull parachute at last possible minute to escape death -- Google lists nearly 300 BASE ...read more
Contributed on Aug 25, 2016
The church is fueled by God's glory according to Ephesians 3.14-21. Within the church we have the manifestation of his presence and the magnification of his person.
1. Chaos Three people were arguing about what profession was used first in the bible. The Surgeon says, "The Medical profession was used first when God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. The Engineer says, "No, engineering was used first. Just think of the engineering job it took to create the ...read more
Contributed on Sep 8, 2016
When we settle for sinful or the status quo, we lose the glory of God.
1. We desire God's presence and glory. Only HE can fill the emptiness in our hearts -- Ecclesiastes 3.11 2. The church is a place to reveal the glory of God 3. It is a "House of Commons" not differences a. Common Salvation -- Jude 3 b. Common Problems -- Romans 3.23 c. Common Fate -- Romans ...read more
Contributed on Sep 19, 2016
Leaders and followers can remove the glory of God from a church by emphasizing relevance over transcendence.
1. 17 Inches [John Scolinos and Home Plate In 1996 John Scolinos spoke to more than 4000 baseball coaches at the American Baseball Coaches Association convention in Nashville, TN. He was a legend among baseball coaches. He was a Hall of Fame College Baseball Head coach who coached at Pepperdine ...read more
Contributed on Sep 27, 2016
One of the avenues for the return of God's glory to his people is the committed proclamation of his word.
1. BUT BEFORE THAT . . . * In 1992, when Mississippi Governor, Kirk Fordice stated unreservedly "America is a Christian nation" the response bordered on hysteria. * But before that -- Congress, declared 1983 to be the "Year of the Bible" -- stating that the Bible, the Word of God, has made a ...read more
Contributed on Oct 8, 2016
Heartfelt worship is a key ingredient to the transcendent presence and glory of God in our midst.
1. Have you been watching and listening for God's direction this week? 2. WORSHIP FROM THE HEART A little boy asked his father what was the highest number he had ever counted. Replying that he didn't know, the father asked his son his highest number. It was 973. "Why did you stop there?" ...read more
Contributed on Oct 24, 2016
Worship Invites the Glory of God; Introduces Salvation; and Initiates Victory.
1. Secret to Soul Winning One of the most zealous soul-winners of yesteryear was Colonel George Clarke, who established the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago, but he wasn't a polished speaker. Dr. R. A. Torrey once wrote, "I used to go and hear Col. Clarke talk and he seemed to me to be one of ...read more