Contributed on Sep 17, 2017
There is an old illustration of seeing the church as a cruise ship or a battle ship. This is a brief contrast of the two.
1. [A few years ago Linda’s parents invited us to go on a cruise with them to the Caribbean. Over all, we had a very enjoyable time on our first cruise. • The food was great!; The entertainment was first class • Some of the ports of call were enjoyable (some were tourist traps) • The crew’s ...read more
Contributed on Oct 25, 2017
We recently developed a logo for our congregation containing the cross, its shadow, praying hands, and the look of a house. This lesson explains the logo and that the Logos (WORD) is the focus.
1. [Various Company Logos and Purpose 2. The new SY Logo is to incorporate the LOGOS (WORD) of God 3. John 1.1-5, 14 4. Consider the Significance of our new Logo I. Jesus and Our Hope A. Jesus was in the Beginning as Creator – John 1.1-3 B. Jesus is at the Center of our Logo in the ...read more
Contributed on Nov 11, 2017
Jesus gave God glory by fulfilling what God had given him to do. As a result, Jesus was honored with glory form the Father. Glory and Giving apply to us as well.
1. The Messiah was referred to as the “Coming One.” • Are you the One? Luke 7.18-19 18 The disciples of John reported all these things to him. And John, 19 calling two of his disciples to him, sent them to the Lord, saying, “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” [Jesus ...read more
Contributed on Nov 15, 2017
part of our mission and vision involves "All-In Discipleship." This can only occur when we realize we are IN the world but not OF the world. In fact, the world is in a serious battle with God, His Son, His Spirit, and His people.
1. A Challenge in Preaching Every Week – the Needs of Each Member a. “Feed me,” – I am hungering to hear from God. b. “Minister to Me,” – I am hurting because of: *Illness in my family *Illness I am facing *Death in my family or a friend *Employment Stresses *Bad Decisions c. “Help me feel ...read more
Contributed on Nov 29, 2017
The power of a community of believers is seen in its unity. That unity is evidence of God's power and purpose in Jesus.
1. Religious Disunity Hartford Institute for Religious Research says that there were 217 denominations listed in the 2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. But there may well be other groups that function as a denomination but do not regard themselves as such. These denominational groups ...read more
Contributed on Dec 5, 2017
Our congregational worship involves glory to God.
1. There is an old French proverb that says, "A good meal ought to begin with hunger." It is hard to enjoy a good meal when you are not hungry, but when you are starving anything tastes good! The same is true with worship. When we approach worship with a hunger for God, starving for a spiritual ...read more