Contributed on Feb 15, 2015
1) The dual source of his apostolic authority (Ephesians 1:1a), 2) A dual description of believers (Ephesians 1:1b), 3) A dual blessing for believers (Ephesians 1:2a), and 4) The dual source of those blessings (Ephesians 1:2b).
If you are a fan of the game show: " Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? ", you may be familiar with a recent contestant named Justin. He said: "I got to $250,000. It was a life-changing sum. It was mine, and I could’ve walked away with it. But I was never going to walk away. Before the show I had ...read more
Contributed on Aug 9, 2015
The 1) Contrast (Ephesians 5:8) , 2) Characteristics (Ephesians 5:9–10), 3) Command (Ephesians 5:11a) 4) Commission (Ephesians 5:11b–13) and 5) Call (Ephesians 5: 14) of Christians as God’s own children of light.
For anyone who remembers the days when just one Spider-Man movie seemed impossible, it is an astonishing how comic book superheroes now dominate popular entertainment. There is a precise schedule of superhero movies to be released over the next six years. Even with such a variety of movies there is ...read more
Contributed on Mar 28, 2015
In Ephesians 2:11–12 Paul shows the need for the work of Christ, the Promise of the Gospel of reconciliation, for Jew and Greek by First, Describing the former Social (Ephesians 2:11) then Spiritual alienation of Jews and Gentiles (Ephesians 2:12).
One of the most striking developments in middle eastern politics as of late is the statement by Israeli president Benjamin Netanyahu, at the end of his reelection campaign. In the last gasp of the campaign, Netanyahu announced a change of mind. He was now opposed to a Palestinian state. He’s ...read more
Contributed on Aug 29, 2015
1) The basic matter of the submission (Ephesians 5:22a), then with its 2) Manner & Motive (Ephesians 5:22b-23a), as well as the 3) Model (Ephesians 5:23b-24).
For the past several hundred years western society has been bombarded with the humanistic, egalitarian, sexless, classless philosophy that was the dominant force behind the French Revolution. The blurring and even total removal of all human distinctions continues to be masterminded by Satan so as ...read more
Contributed on May 31, 2015
1) Every believer has been individually gifted (Eph. 4:7); 2) Christ obtained the right to give gifts(Eph. 4:8-10); and 3) the Lord blesses the whole church (Eph.4:11)
Gift giving is a year round problem. When we are invited to an event we wonder what we should bring. Usually the bigger the event, the bigger the gift. A dinner party requires a different gift from a wedding. Problems arise when we try to out give the other invited guests, try to bribe our way with ...read more
Contributed on Oct 4, 2015
1) The Shield of Faith (Ephesians 6:16) 2) The Helmet of Salvation (Ephesians 6:17a), 3) The Sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17b)
John Bunyan, the author of Pilgrim’s Progress, wrote another famous allegory entitled The Holy War.... He believed that God and Satan are locked in a titanic war in which the souls of humanity are at stake — that we are the principal players in a real war. ... Bunyan sought, by the ...read more
Contributed on Sep 20, 2015
1) The Preparation (Ephesians 6:10), 2) Armor (Ephesians 6:11a), 3) Enemy (Ephesians 6:11b), 4) Battle (Ephesians 6:12), and 5) The Victory of the Believer’s Warfare (Ephesians 6:13).
Major-General Sir Ernest Swinton, used to speak on the radio once each week as a military commentator from September 1939 onwards. Nothing seemed to be happening, no guns were being fired, there had been no clash of arms, no air-raids had taken place, the war seemed dead. But Sir Ernest Swinton ...read more
Contributed on Apr 4, 2015
1) Before being alive in Christ (Ephesians 2:1-3) 2) Being alive in Christ (Ephesians 2:4-6, 8-9), and 3) After being alive in Christ (Ephesians 2:7,10)
This past weekend saw the season finale of one of the most popular shows on TV: The Walking Dead. One of the most popular elements in this genere are the zombies. A zombie is a person who has died but who is nevertheless up walking around. To make matters even more gruesome, the body is not only ...read more
Contributed on Apr 19, 2015
In Ephesians 2:12-18, the Apostle Paul shows how believers are One in Christ through a 1) Peaceful Body (Ephesians 2:13–17) and 2) Access to God.
This week saw the visit of India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Canada. He is regarded as such a unique individual because he comes from a low caste. His family belonged to the Ghanchi (oil-presser) community, which is categorised as an Other Backward Class by the Indian government (Illaih, ...read more
Contributed on Aug 2, 2015
1) The Plea (Ephesians 5:1–2a), 2) The Pattern (Ephesians 5:2b), 3) The Perversion (Ephesians 5:3–4)
The world claims to want love, and love is advocated and praised from every corner. Romantic love especially is touted. Songs, novels, movies, and television serials continually exploit emotional, lustful desire as if it were genuine love. Questing for and fantasizing about the “perfect ...read more
Contributed on Apr 27, 2015
1) United in God’s Kingdom (Ephesians 2:19a) 2) United in God’s Family (Ephesians 2:19b) 3) United in God’s Temple (Ephesians 2:20–22)
Thousands of people each year make the dangerous sea journey from North Africa to Europe's Mediterranean coast, often aboard vessels that are poorly equipped for the trip. Many of them attempt the voyage to flee war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East. A group of passengers, consisting of 105 ...read more
Contributed on Aug 15, 2015
1) The Prohibition (Ephesians 5:18a), 2) The Product (Ephesians 5:18b), 3) The Principle (Ephesians 5:18c)
A common summer event is the music festival. Located on large public venue's, they are a mixture of music, food and crowds. Naturally festivals differ one from another, but some of the more extreme bear little difference from ancient pagan rites. Drugs, psychedelic lighting, ear–pounding ...read more
Contributed on May 31, 2015
In describing the believers walk we see its 1) Call (Ephesians 4:1), 2) Characteristics (Ephesians 4:2-3), and its 3) Cause (Ephesians 4:4-6).
For months, the world’s news crews have needed to cope with a bizarre Internet-inspired trend of bystanders screaming a vulgar phrase into live microphones. But on Tuesday, an Ontario power company employee was fired after he was seen championing the phrase during a live CityNews broadcast. ...read more
Contributed on May 3, 2015
The 1) Prisoner (Eph. 3:1–4), 2) Plan (Eph. 3:5–6), 3) Preaching (Eph. 3:7–9), 4) Purpose (Eph. 3:10–11), and 5) Privileges (Eph. 3:12) of divine mystery
A fighter I know made a comment this week. He said:" This is just a matter of personal opinion but I don't think almighty God meant his blessings to be paid for. However you chose to worship is your business, I suppose. I like working towards my goal of being able to give back to my community and ...read more
Contributed on Oct 18, 2015
The 1) Frequency (Ephesians 6:18a) , 2), Power(Ephesians 6:18b) 3) Variety (Ephesians 6:18c) , 4) Manner (Ephesians 6:18d), and the 5) Objects of prayer (Ephesians 6:18e).
This week, a Seattle football coach is planning a bold move that could end up costing his job. The controversy boils down to prayer in schools, but coach Joe Kennedy is determined to keep praying with any players who want to join him. Kennedy and his lawyer believe that the prayers don't break the ...read more
Contributed on Jun 14, 2015
Ephesians 4 presents ... a divine wardrobe which will really change one’s life...a heavenly, eternal style which will never go out of date — a wardrobe which wears increasingly better with time.
If you have been abroad, you know there is a worldwide fascination with fashion. Whether you travel to Chicago or London or Geneva or Beijingor Nairobi, you find fashion-conscious people making fashion statements. Much of this lure comes from fashion’s enticing promise of a “new ...read more
Contributed on Sep 14, 2015
1) The Submission of Slaves, or Employees (Ephesians 6:5-8), and about 2) The Submission of Masters, or Employers (Ephesians 6:9).
As Children in Ontario headed back to school this week, it was surrounded by labor issues between school boards and the province of Ontario. Last minute negotiations meant that students were spared a delay in their school year, but ongoing disputes with support workers and unresolved contract ...read more
Contributed on Oct 1, 2015
1) The Belt of Truth (Ephesians 6:14a) , 2) The Breastplate of Righteousness (Ephesians 6:14b), and 3) Feet prepared with the Gospel (Ephesians 6:15)
John Nyland, was a former lineman for the Dallas Cowboys and later for the Philadelphia Eagles. He believed there were only two kinds of sports: the “easy” sports everybody else did, and the “contact” sports in which men over two hundred pounds took part. Thinking of the ...read more
Contributed on Mar 1, 2015
1) Why God Chooses (Ephesians 1:3), 2) When God Chooses (Ephesians 1:4), 3) For What did God Choose (Ephesians 1:5-6)
There is a point in any group athletic competition when teams are chosen. Sometimes they are chosen by tryouts where coaches make the final selection. In impromptu games, there are often more casual methods. Sometimes captains are selected, and they pick the teams. Other times random numbers are ...read more
Contributed on Mar 8, 2015
1) The Redeemer (Ephesians 1:6b), 2) The Redeemed (Ephesians 1:7a) , 3) The Redemption Price (Ephesians 1:7b), 4) The Results (Ephesians 1:7c-9a), and 5) The Reason (Ephesians 1:9b-10).
A common tactic among ISIS insurgents is the practice of taking hostages for ransom. They seize journalist, soldiers or people that identify with their enemy, like Christians, for the purpose of receiving a ransom from their host nation. If the host countries cannot extract their citizens by force, ...read more
Contributed on Jun 7, 2015
1) Progression (Ephesians 4:12), 2) Purpose (Ephesians 4:13–15), and the 3) Power (Ephesians 4:16) of God’s divine pattern for the building and function of His church.
A free-lance missionary visited a pastor asking for financial support. “What groupare you associated with?” the pastor asked. The man replied, “I belong to the invisible church.” The pastor then asked, “Well, what church are you a member of!” Again he got the ...read more
Contributed on Mar 19, 2015
1) The Ground (Ephesians 1:11–13a), 2) The Guarantee (Ephesians 1:13b–14a), and 3) The Goal of our incomparable inheritance in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:14b).
History is rife with stories of murder, extortion and robbery by siblings taking family possessions by force. They rationalize that they either deserve it or will eventually inherit it, so why not take it now? They imagine what they can do with the money and possessions to achieve their ...read more