Summary: God doesn’t like a complainer, and when we complain, there’s a danger that comes with it. God may give you what you’re complaining about, but in the end it may hurt you more then help you.
Moses and the isrealites are making their first attempt at entering the promised land. Almost as soon as they start thier journey they begin to complain as they looked back on what they used to have in Egypt, (Fish), and realized they didn’t have it now. Instead of thanking God for what they do have now..(Manna). By complaining, they eventually got what they wanted from God and a whole lot more. It says in verses 31-34 that God eventuaaly gave them what they asked for in the form of quails, but sent a plague along with it that instantly killed many of the people. As a result of thier complaining they never reached the promised land and they had to wander in the wilderness for 40 additional years.
- We do the same thing today, we often complain too much about what we don’t have instead of thanking God for what they do have.
- Why is complaining so dangerous?
II. BODY: 3 REASONS WHY COMPLAINING IS DANGEROUS.
A. BECAUSE IT IS CONTAGIOUS.
- Complaining is like a cancer, it spreads!
- It often starts with one person and spreads around as is evidenced by our text this morning.
- Elaborate on how it spreads like a cancer!
- Cancer is dangerous, and so is complaning!
B. COMPLAINING IS A SIN, AND THE ACT OF SIN SEPERATES US FROM GOD!
- God can’t stand a complainer!
- Complaining is of the enemy!
- Describe how sin builds up a wall and a breakdown of communication betwen you and God!
- Stop complaining to man & take your complaints to God!
C. COMPLAINING LEADS TO OTHER SINS WHICH CAN ADD UP AND TAKE YOU FURTHER AWAY FROM GOD!
- Sin leads to lust, which is because we are unsatisfied and so we lust after what someone else has.
- Complaing leads to rebellion, passing judgement, greed, disbelief, and disobedience. (Elaborate on each one.)
III. PREACH THE TEXT:
(Vs. 1-3)- The people complained to eachother & Moses complained to God. We need to learn to take our complaints to God instead of eachother!
(Vs. 4-6) We are so wrapped up in what we have instead of what we don’t have! Thought about what they had in the past but did not realize the cost! Are you grateful or ingrateful? Don’t allow your unfullfilled desires to take presedence over what you do have!
- Encourage & exhort the people of God to stop complaining & be thankful!
- Discuss & elaborate on the REAL danger of complaining!