Summary: Tracing the scarlet of blood throughout scripture
The Scarlet Thread in the British Navy
It is said that in the last century, every rope, great or small, that was used throughout the British navy, had a scarlet thread running through it from end to end; lost, stolen, sunk beneath the waves though it might be cut into inch pieces showed by this simple thread that it bore the King's mark and was the possession of the crown. So there is a scarlet thread running through the whole circle of Christian doctrine and practice certifying that all its different parts are one.
- This scarlet thread is a thread of blood.
- Scientist William Harvey, 1620, "life" really is maintained by the
blood, which both brings nourishment to all parts of the body and also carries away its wastes
Leviticus 17:11 (AV)
11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: ….
Leviticus 17:14 (AV)
14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.
- Blood is mentioned over 400x in the Bible.
- Eternal life is in the blood of Jesus
John 1:29 (AV)
…. Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
1 John 1:7 (AV)
…. the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- Jesus reveals the Scarlet thread of scripture twice
- Lk. 24:25-27 - Once on the Emmaus Road
- Lk. 24:44-47 - Second time in the closed room
- It is the scarlet thread of the blood of Jesus.
1. Adam & Eve: Blood covered their shame. Ge. 3:21
Genesis 3:21 (AV)
21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
2. Abel: Blood was the accepted offering. Ge. 4:4
Genesis 4:4 (AV)
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
3. Ab. & Isaac: Ram substituted for a son. Ge. 22:13
Genesis 22:13 (AV)
13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
4. Passover: Blood of a lamb Ex. 12:13
Exodus 12:13 (AV)
13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
5. Temple sacrifice: The blood of animals. Lev. 16:21
Leviticus 16:21 (AV)
21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
6. The Scarlet thread in Ps 22
Ps 22:1 My God, My God why hast thou forsaken me
Ps 22:6-8 - … despised of people …. Laugh me to scorn… Let him deliver
The scarlet thread leads to: THE CROSS!
7. The Scarlet thread in the Prophets – is 53