Summary: Bringing Mt 20:29-34 - Mk 10:46-52 - Lk 18:35-43 together on the healing of the blind men
- Our cat snuggles has a love/hate relationship with touch
- Hates being forced to take hairball medicine
- Loves being brushed
- Americans are ‘losing touch’ with an important communication skill. with the words
- "Don’t touch me"
- Touch is the earliest sense to develop in the fetus, and the development of infants
- Touch can be thought a basic sense in that most life forms have a response to being touched, while only a subset have sight and hearing.
- Harvard Researchers, America’s "let them cry" attitude toward children may lead to more fears and tears among adults
- Dr. John Holt observed an incredible proportion of infant deaths, the will to live is related to touch
- When held and cuddled the death rate dropped
- Young people who grow up in homes where there is very little touching are often withdrawn in character and personality
- I’ll be in touch
- The handshake
- Holding hands
- Back Rub
- The hand on the shoulder gives encouragement
- The hug most often used as communicating love
- Words are fundamental to communication.
- There are times when words fail, when touch can communicate what the tongue cannot.
- Test - Is you arm on the back of your wife’s chair/pew? - Now let it fall off onto her shoulder
- One of the prime miracle Jesus performed was bringing sight to the blind - 4x in the Gospels
Mt 20:29-34 --- Mk 10:46-52 --- Lk 18:35-43
- Mk 10:46 - Bartimeus = Son of the Highly Prized
1. v. 30 Their Condition — Blind
- Lev. 21:16-24
- Blindness was one of the blemishes disqualifying descendants of Aaron from performing sacrifice to God
- Ignorance to Sp. things — Ephesians 4:18
- Unbelief — 2 Corinthians 4:3-4
2. v. 30 Sitting - Frustrated Dysfunctional, Disabled
3. v. 30 By the wayside - Baggers
4. v. 30 Mk 10:49-50 - Heard - Bartimeus casted away everything that hindered him
5. v. 30 Jesus passed by
- Last time in Jericho- If they missed this opportunity it would never come their way again
6. v. 30, Mk 10:48 - Cried Out --- Shouted
- They were earnest, meaning business
- Desperate people will be serious
- Holding to God we will succeed in prayer
7. v. 30 - O Lord -- Master
- Sensing of His deity, dominion, and power
- He has authority
8. v. 30 Have mercy on us — Pleading — Take Pity — Have Compassion — - Deal kindly
- Have mercy on us is a request.
- It is not owed to the men.
- They simply ask for God’s kind grace.
9. Son of David!
- Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophecy of the seed of David (2 Samuel 7:14-16)
- Professing Jesus to be the Messiah.
- Why was Jesus called a "Son of David"? - So WE can be called "Sons of God"
John 1:12 "As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God; to them that believe on his name"
10. v. 31 "Hold your peace" “rebuked.” The crowd’s view was that why would Jesus be bothered with someone as unimportant as a blind beggar.
11. v.32 - What will ye that I shall do unto you?
- Beggars have needs,
- Did not ask to be raised from shame or disgrace as nobodies
- They did not ask for silver or gold
- There was no end to their needs food, friends, clothing, home, everything that is needed to survive