Summary: ❶ Go In By Faith ❷. Go In By Following His Plan ❸. Go In Without Question ❹. Go In For God’s Glory
Mission: Impossible was a TV series that ran from 1966 –1973 and again from 1988 to 1990.Then 3 movies. It chronicles the missions of a team of secret American government agents known as the Impossible Missions Force (IMF). The team is sent on covert missions to combat dictators, evil organizations, crime lords.
- Exciting to watch a small band defeat powerful enemies
- Jericho the oldest city in the world.
- The name Jericho means "fragrant."
- Called "the city of palm trees" (Deut. 34:3) many springs made Jericho a green oasis in the middle of the dry Jordan rift area.
- In the winter it became a resort town for people fleeing the colder weather of the Palestinian hill country.
- Jericho is located 5 miles W of the Jordan and 7 miles N of the Dead Sea
- 800 feet below sea level.
- Jericho stood opposite Mount Nebo (32:49).
- One of the few gateways into the Judean Mountains
- Important east west route
- Strongest fortress in all the land of Canaan
Virtually impregnable double wall
- Jericho built upon a mound
- Area of about 10 acres
- Based on the archaeologist’s rule of thumb of 200 persons per acre (2000)
- Surrounded by a great earthen embankment
- People were also living on the embankment between the upper and lower city walls
- With a stone retaining wall at its base.
- The retaining wall was some12–15 feet high.
- Top wall was six feet thick by 20–26 feet
- Joshua 6:20 The Hebrew here carries the suggestion that it ‘fell beneath itself
- Canaanites living in surrounding villages would have fled to Jericho for safety.
- We can assume that there were several thousand people inside the walls when the Israelites came against the city
Your Mission – Remove Barriers
❶ Go In By Faith.
Heb 11:6 - "Without faith it is impossible to please him"
- Faith in God is Essential for salvation
- Essential for the Christian life
- Essential to do God’s work,.
Heb. 11:30 "By faith the walls of Jericho fell down"
Mt. 9:29"- According to your faith be it unto you"
Mk 9:23 "If thou canst believe, all things : possible to him that believeth"
- The hymn writer John Yates had it right: "Faith is
the victory! Faith is ; victory! Oh, glorious victory that overcomes the world."
❷. Go In By Following His Plan
- v. 3 – For 6 days go around once
- v. 5 – 7 priest before the ark blowing trumpets
- v. 10 – Go in Silence
- v. 5 – 7th day 7 times blast the trumpets give a shout
- Then the walls would fall
❸. Go In Without Question
- v. 2 See I have given Jericho, the King, It’s power (men of valour)
- Just walk around Jericho – Nothing else
- No reason for this silence.
- The hardest thing for Israel to do was to be silent.
- The grim silence of the people must have been
- How long could we do the Lord’s work in silence without questioning?
❹. Go In For God’s Glory.
- When we have faith to follow the Lord victory will
- Jos. 6:18-19 And ye, in any wise keep yourselves from the accursed thing, lest ye make yourselves accursed, when ye take of the accursed thing, and make the camp of Israel a curse, and trouble it. 19 But all the silver, and gold, and vessels of brass and iron, are consecrated unto the LORD: they shall come into the treasury of the LORD.