Summary: Using HOPE in our lives ❶ Seize Unbelief ❷ Admit Fear ❸ Redirect Thoughts ❹ Attitude of Praise ❺ Confident Trust ❻ Resting in His Word
1 Sam 30:1-6
Someone has said that if you could convince a man there was no hope, he would curse the day he was born. Hope is an indispensable quality of life.
Dusk was falling on the Saturday before Christmas in 1927 the S-4 submarine (S-class submarines, were the first class of submarines built to US Navy design) was conducting trials and tests was rammed by by a USCG ship and quickly sank into 100 feet of water. The entire 38 crew members were trapped in its prison house of death. Ships rushed to the scene of disaster off the coast of Massachusetts.
A diver tapped out a question asking how much oxygen on board would last. Two days was the max. A nor’easter was upon them and treacherous underwater currents thwarted the attempts to rescue the remaining six trapped survivors. The last tapped out a question in the dots and dashes of the Morse Code. “Is … there … any … hope?” The storm raged for 62 hours all had perished.
When helpless we need hope
17:55 Noticed (after the defeat of Goliath)
18:8 Popular (1,000’s David 10,000’s)
18:10-11 Saul’s jealousy - Javelin thrown
18:25 Maybe David would be killed by Philistines Kill 100 and you can have my daughter
18:27 Two hundred philistines killed
19:1 Saul speaks to Jonathan & servants -- Kill David
19:8 War again -- Great victory for David
19:10 Saul & Javelin at David
19:11 Michal saves David’s life
20:3 Words to Jonathan "there is but a step between me and death"
20:33 Saul tries to kill Jonathan with a Javelin
22:2 David attracts 400 men (distress, in debt, discontent [Mss losers, vagrants & misfits]
23:5-12 David saves Keilah - Saul thought him trapped, inhabitants would betray him to Saul
23:13 David’s band now 600
24:2 Saul uses 3,000 men to capture David
24:4 Engedi Cave opportunity to kill Saul - David cut off th end of Saul’s robe
26:2 Saul again with 3,000 men tracking David
26:12 Again opportunity to kill Saul David takes Saul’s spear, and water bottle
27:1 David has no choice but to escape to the Philistines (remember Goliath the Philistine)
30:1 Ziklag destroyed
30:6 Families captive
30:4 Great weeping until no more tears
30:6 Own friends bid to stone David
-----> 30:6 BUT David encouraged himself in the LORD
- Literally ("en") To put in courage "heart" - what is in one’s mind or thoughts
- Attitudes on how I face life
- David could not comfort himself in his wife, children, goods, nor anything else
- Casting himself on the Lord - 1 Sam 30:6
- Ps 42-43 Two Attitudes
- Disrepair & Hopelessness – 42:3, 42:7; 42:9; 42:10; 43:2
- Countered with the Lord & Praise – 42:1-2; 42:4-5; 42:6; 42:8-9a; 42:11; 43:1-2a; 43:3-5
- We need biblical fixed points to hang onto
- KEY: 3 verses "Hope in God" 42:5,11 & 43:5
- 40x Words refer to the Lord in Ps. 42-43
- God has come in the flesh
Psalm 124:8KJV Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 13:5KJV 5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
+ Using HOPE In Our Lives
1. Seize Unbelief - 42:5, 11, 43:5
2. Admit Fear - 42:3, 6-7; 43:2
Psalm 42:7NCV - Troubles have come again and again, sounding like waterfalls. Your waves are crashing all around me.
3. Redirect Thoughts - 42:1-2
- (Become)Home sick
4. Attitude of Praise - 42:4; 43:4
5. Confident Trust - 43; 8-9
6. Resting in His Word - 43:3
- Rom 8:24 For we are saved by hope
- Is this correct?
- I thought we were saved by faith
- Remove hope and you become paralyzed of action
- Hope has to do with the future
- Faith appropriates
- Hope anticipates
- Faith looks backward
- Hope looks forward
- Faith accepts
- Hope expects
- Hope is the suave for the soul
- Rom 8:24 does not say "We hope we are saved" but "We are saved by hope"
- Hope is all about the future -- Our salvation lies in hope
- Hope led us to Christ
- Hope does not leave us but constantly speaks of a glorious future