Summary: This second in the seriese discusses taking responsibility for life and for becoming what God made us to be. Also addresses embracing positive change in life.
12 Secrets for Abundant Living
This week we are continuing in our series for the New Year - 12 secrets for abundant living. Remember that this whole series is based on 3 very important principles.
1. God has a plan for your life - Jeremiah 29:11 says “I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”
2. There is a battle engaged for your life - Jesus said in John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
3. Too many of God’s people are losing the battle - Marriages, children, finances, life. Matthew 9:36 - “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”
The first secret to living this abundant life was answering 4 of life’s most important questions. Who are you? What are you? Where are you? What do you really want? (If you miss a week of this and want to keep up - tapes are available - see JR)
Today I want to keep us moving through these ideas so let’s get to secret number two.
1) Own It - This is perhaps the most counter culture idea that I am going to share with you during this series. I want you to understand that to move into the life of abundance that God wants for you, you have to own it. Own what? Own you. We live in a world that says failure is someone else’s fault. My pain, my failure, my hardship is all someone else’s fault. If my behavior is bad it’s because you didn’t do enough to make me better. Well here’s the hard part for you - Owning it means taking responsibility for your life. It means waking up and realizing “I am where I am because of the choices I have made.” I want you to understand that I am not saying that other people’s sins don’t affect our lives. The things that other people do can make our journey much harder - but ultimately you must understand that no one is responsible for you but you. To do otherwise is to make yourself a perpetual victim and give unlimited power to the person who persecuted you. Understand that God is on your side - and with Him all things are possible. In John chapter 5 - Jesus stands in Jerusalem by the pool of Bethesda and looks down at a man who has been sick for 38 years. He asks him a simple question “Do you want to get well?” He starts making excuses. The question that faces each of you this morning is simple - “Do you want to get well?” Do you want to be what God made you to be? Do you want to live in abundance? Then own it. The only person who can stop you from becoming what God wants you to be is You. The only person who will stand before God and give an account for your life is you! Own it!
2) Embrace Positive Change - The third secret to abundant living is embrace positive change. Jesus asks the man at the pool “Do you want to get well?” The truth is not all of us want to find abundant living. Oh we like it as a concept but when the rubber meets the road we just aren’t that interested. You see