Summary: I was working for an auto dealership as a master technician and making a lot more money than pasturing this church. But I was not more happy. God's Word show us ho to truly live the abundant life.
Remember that this whole series is based on 3 very important principles.
1. God has a plan for your life - Jeremiah 29:11
2. There is a battle engaged for your life - Jesus said in John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”
3. Too many of God’s people are losing the battle - Marriages, children, finances, life. Matthew 9:36 - “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”
The first secret to living this abundant life was answering 4 of life’s most important questions. Who are you? What are you? Where are you? What do you really want?
Today I want to share the next two secrets with you.
1) Secret #2: Own It - If you want to move into the life of abundance that God wants for you, you have to own it.
Own what? Own you.
*Have you noticed that when we experience failure in life it is always someone else’s fault? My pain, my failure, my hardship is all someone else’s fault. If my behavior is bad it’s because you didn’t do enough to make me better.
I told my psychology professor at Liberty that I could pass the class quickly, because everything that’s wrong with me Is my parents fault…
*Owning it means that I’m taking responsibility for my own life. It means waking up and realizing “I am where I am because of the choices I have made.”
*Not don’t misunderstand me. Other people’s sins do affect our lives. The things that other people do can make our journey much more difficult.
I must understand that I am responsible for me. Anything else and you make yourself a victim and give unlimited power to the person who persecutes you.
*You need to know that God is on your side - and with Him all things are possible.
In John chapter 5 - Jesus stands in Jerusalem by the pool of Bethesda and looks down at a man who has been sick for 38 years.
He asks him a simple question “Do you want to get well?” The man quickly starts making excuses. The question that faces each of us this today is this… “Do you want to get well?” Do you want to be what God made you to be? Do you want to live in the abundance God has for you? Then own it.
*The only person who can stop you from becoming what God wants you to be is You.
*The only person who will stand before God and give an account for your life is you!
Once I realize that I am responsible for me I then need to…
2) Secret #3: Embrace Positive Change -Jesus asks the man at the pool “Do you want to get well?” You know something that smokes my salmon… There are actually some who don’t want to find abundant life. I have talked with people about getting out of the rut they’re in and the excuses they make tells you that they like wallowing in their misery.
Change as a concept is interesting but when the rubber meets the road we just aren’t all that interested.