Summary: This message speaks about the wrong methods of motivating people to serve God, the wrong motives in serving God, and how the Holy Spirit compels us with the right motives to serve God
The Holy Spirit Compels Us
Key thoughts: There is a tremendous need for people to come to Christ. Workers are needed to bring in this harvest of people for Christ. How do we get people motivated to serve?
I. Wrong Methods for Motivating People to Serve
A. Through the manipulation of man
1. Using worldly methods to motivate people will not last.
2. Workers will not be blessed by their service
Work not done with joy, but with a sense of obligation or duty
B. Ways of manipulating
1. The use of guilt
2. The use of threats/anger
3. By appealing to people’s pride
Give titles, give positions and seats of honor
II. Wrong Motives for Serving God
A. To earn your salvation
1. Why do cults have highly motivated workers? They are working to earn their salvation. Example of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormon missionaries
2. To compensate for sin, to balance the scale of judgment
3. We are not saved by works but by God’s Grace, it is a gift of God (Eph. 2:8, 9)
B. To gain praise and approval of people
1. To appease your spouse
2. To please the Pastor or do a favor for him.
C. To gain respect and honor from people
1. The pride of the Pharisees (Matthew 6:1-2)
2. When you serve you will be tested by criticism, complaints
3. Are you seeking a position or title?
Application: What is motivating you to serve Christ?
III. The Holy Spirit Compels Us with the Right Motives (2 Corinthians 5:9-15)
A. The Holy Spirit is the best motivator
1. The Holy Spirit will fill us with a burning passion or zeal
2. The baptism of the Holy Spirit
B. The Holy Spirit motivates us to please the Lord (Vs. 9)
1. The Holy Spirit helps us to experience God’s love
2. As we grow in our love for God, we grow in desire to please Him
C. The Holy Spirit motivates us to be Accountable (vs. 10)
1. We will appear before the judgment seat of Christ on judgment day
2. We will be recompensed for our service
C. The Holy Spirit fills us with the love of Christ
1. Being full of Christ’s love causes us to die to ourselves and live for Christ (vs. 15)
2. That love compels us to love and serve others (vs. 15)
Application: Do you have the zeal of the Lord?