Summary: There are 2 carpenters who saved the world; one Noah and the other the Lord Jesus.We're looking at some parallels and differences between these two Carpenters.
2 CARPENTERS WHO SAVED THE WORLD
Heb. 11:7; Mk. 6:1-3
A. HUMOR: THE UMBRELLA
1. A man was in the habit of carrying an umbrella wherever he went. When, (unfortunately) his last good umbrella broke, he decided to take all of his umbrellas to a shop to have them repaired.
2. On the bus returning home from the shop he unconsciously picked up the umbrella of the woman sitting next to him, purely out of habit.
3. "Stop, thief!" she immediately cried. He quickly surrendered the umbrella and got off the bus much embarrassed.
4. The next week, when he was returning from the shop with his pile of repaired umbrellas, he got on a bus and just so happened to sit down right next to the very same woman.
5. She gave him an icy stare and said, "Had a good day, huh?"
6. We’re going to read about another man who needed an umbrella.
B. UNIQUE PROFESSION OF CARPENTRY
1. The title to this morning's message is, "The Two Carpenters Who Saved The World."
2. Carpenters are unique individuals – and not just because of their zesty personalities.
3. They are known for their saws, measuring instruments, their hammers, nails, and that they build things.
4. It's an honorable profession and Carpenters usually take great pride in their work.
5. However, carpenters aren’t in one of the life-saving professions. So it seems odd that God would choose them to save the world. But he did! Read with me.
C. TEXTS & THESIS
1. “By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.” Heb. 11:7.
2. “Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. 2 When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. “Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? 3 Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.” Mk. 6:1-3.
3. We’re going to look at some parallels and differences between these two Carpenters.
4. Follow along as we look at "The Two Carpenters Who Saved The World."
I. PARALLELS: NOAH’S TIME & OUR TIME
A. HORRIBLE SIN
1. NOAH’S CALL/TIME
a. Noah was the world's most unlikely Savior. He lived in a time of unparalleled sin.
b. "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart. And the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth." Genesis 6:5-7. Also verse 11, "The earth was filled with violence…"
2. OUR TIME
a. Luke 17:26, “Just as it was in the Days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man.”