Summary: We cannot run away from God. We all try sometimes. We all try to make our own choices do our own thing. We never seem to learn the futility of it all.
I. A Deliberate Choice
1. The Ship
2. Life is made up of choices. Hebrews 11:24-25
3. Jonah made a deliberate choice to rebel against God.
a. Tarshish was the farthest point that he could flee. As much as 1,600 – 2,000 miles
b. Jonah refused to surrender his will to God’s will.
4. The idea was, “I will get away and God will get someone else to do the job.”
5. Jonah chose indifference over concern.
a. He was cold to their needs.
6. Verse 3, found carries with it the idea of surprise. He happened to find it.
a. Anytime we want to run away from God’s will, Satan will always finish the transportation.
7. Some things the Devil uses:
b. Social action
II. A Disastrous Result
1. The Storm
2. Outside the will of God there is nothing but a stormy trip on a troubled sea.
3. The truth is: God uses storms
a. Some storms come in complete, total obedience to God’s will.
b. Some storms come in a result of rebellion.
c. Storms of rebellion are:
III. A Dangerous Condition
1. The Sailors
2. Jonah 1:5; the sailors were afraid
3. It’s dangerous to be in a storm “without” God.
a. They cried to a pagan god.
b. In trouble, lost people must rely on self-efforts
4. It’s dangerous to be asleep in a storm.
a. Jonah slept because he could not face the fact of his faithlessness.
b. He dulled his conscience and refused to face his rebellion. Hebrews 3:7-15
d. Someone said, “you don’t know your asleep until someone wakes you up.”
5. Could you be asleep in your relationship with God?
IV. A Declared Guilt
1. The lot fell upon Jonah. Jonah was pointed out as the one who caused the storm.
2. Your sin and rebellion will always be revealed. Exposed, rebellion is sin. 1 Samuel 15:23
a. Numbers 32:23; be sure your sins will find you out.
b. Nothing you can do to avoid it.
3. Your sin and rebellion will be embarrassing
a. It will cause shame and tears.
b. Peter in Luke 22:62
4. Your sin is examined by the world.
a. What is your occupation? Verse 8-10
b. The world puts the church on trial.
c. As a Christian, you are always on duty. Colossians 3:17, 22-24
5. Lesson we need to learn.
a. The Devil makes it easy to disobey God.
1) The key or test is in our choices.
b. God uses different ways to teach us His will.
2) Lost people around us.
3) Preaching, casting lots, Holy Spirit conviction
c) Isaiah 58:1