Summary: DOES IT MATTER WHAT I DO HERE ON EARTH? The implication of the following verses is that treasures will be measured in heaven according to the deeds done on earth. So, YES!!!
Sermon Study # 238 –SERVANT’S REWARD
Key Scripture: Eph 6:7-8 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.
The Graduation Gift
A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealers showroom, and knowing that his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted. As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car. Finally, on the morning of his graduation, his father called him into his private study.
His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautiful wrapped gift box. Curious, but somewhat disappointed, the young man opened the box and found a lovely, leather bound Bible, with the young man’s name embossed in gold.
Angrily, he raised his voice to his father and said, "With all your money you give me a BIble?" and stormed out of the house, leaving the Bible.
Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and wonderful family, but realized his father was very old and thought perhaps he should go to him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. But before he could make arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.
When he arrived at his father’s house, sudden sadness and regret filled his heart.
He began to search through his father’s important papers and saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages.
His father has carefully underlined a verse, Matthew 7:11, "And if ye, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father which is in heaven, give to those who ask Him?"
As he read those words, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealers name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words....PAID IN FULL.
How many times have we missed God’s blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?
May God’s blessings touch your life always.
from Stories From The Heart; 2/14/2002
DOES IT MATTER WHAT I DO HERE ON EARTH?
The implication of the following verses is that treasures will be measured in heaven according to the deeds done on earth.
(1) Mat 6:3-4 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Illustrate the secret Spanish Pentecostal handshake.
(2) Mat 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.”
Note: The act of service is done because you are a disciple of Jesus. This must be your purpose and motivating factor. Many people do good deeds, but not in the name of Jesus… these deeds are incomplete – not eternally rewarded.
(3) Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.
Note: The measure of the reward is determined by the eternal acts that one has done on earth.
(4) Rev 22:12 “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
Note: The promise for the servant is a reward that Jesus will bring is His glory!
(5) Romans 2:6-8 God "will give to each person according to what he has done."  To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.  But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
Note: The reward for the servant is eternal life…
(6) 2 Cor. 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.