Summary: We are God’s children. Verse 1 – who we are, verse 2 – who we are becoming, rest of chapter – what we take as we grow…victory, love, and confidence.
Verse 1 - Our Position (sons of God)
• What are we?
• Reflects a spiritual birth
• We hold a title, as an heir to the King, cannot be taken from Him
• John 1:12 – but as many as received Him, to them He gave power to become the sons of God
• Heavenly title or worldly title
o President so & so, Queen of whatever, CEO of this
• People should see Jesus in us
Verse 2 - We are Peculiar (the world knoweth us not)
• We are different from the world, strangers in this world, chosen few
• 1 Peter 2:9 – but ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people
• World doesn’t understand our joy, world only sees here & now
• We may be in this world, but not partakers of it
• Should Christians blend in and look like the world?
Verse 3 - Our Potential (we shall be like Him)
• Are we changing daily?
• Are we maturing in our walk of faith?
• 1 Corinthians 15:52 – in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye…we shall be changed
• On that day, we shall be changed, no more sorrow, grief, pain, disease, no more…
Verse 3 - Our Purity (this hope in him)
• Being in line with God
• James 4:8 – draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you, cleanse your hands, ye sinners, purify your hearts, ye double minded
• Humble our hearts to Christ
• Submit ourselves to His will
• Commit our lives to Him
We should strive to become more like Christ. Don’t fall for worldly treasures, lay up your treasures in heaven. Where is our position? How is our peculiarity? What about our potential and our purity?