Summary: The Christian life is progressive - we’re changed from glory to glory and we go from strength to strength. Perhaps some of us are stuck in a level for a long time but now is the time for your breakthrough!
The Lord is known by many names in the Bible and His names reveal His character.
’Baal- Perazim’ (2 Samuel 5:20) = ’Lord of the Breakthroughs’
Breakthrough = God breaks open a new realm in the Spirit and He brings us through.
5 Keys to Your Breakthrough (Mark 2:1-8)
1. Make room for Jesus (vv.1-2)
- It happened when Jesus was ’in the house’
- Omnipresence vs. Manifested Presence
- A Church without the presence of God (Rev. 3:20)
- Image Management vs. Authentic Living
- When His presence is here, there’s no need for advertisement. The house will be full!
2. Overcome your paralysis (v.3)
- The crippled man did not have a ’defeat mentality’
- "The lame shall leap like a deer..." Isa. 35
- "Could Jesus be the Messiah?"
- Perhaps some of us are ’paralysed’ by condemning past, chronic fears and habitual sins.
- Pick yourself up and make your way to Lord of your breakthoughs!
3. Be in the right company (v.3)
- His friends weren’t skeptics, they had faith (v.5)
- ’Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future’
4. Refuse to be denied (v.4)
- The 5 men did not turn back.
- Rather be inconvenient and received a miracle than to be complacent and lose a blessing.
5. Remove the lid of human limitation (v.4)
- Clay = Humanity; Roof = Limitation
- We may be limited by our backgrounds and human weaknesses, e.g Gideon and Moses
- God uses the nameless, faceless and the useless, so He gets all the glory (1 Cor 1:26-31)
- There are 5 men in the story and 5 = grace of God
- It’s not our impotence but God’s omnipotence!