Summary: David needed no sword, spear, helmet, etc., but God's weapons -- the 5 smooth stones of the Name of Jesus, the Blood of Christ, the Word of God, the Spirit, and prayer. By those our giants will fall too!
5 SMOOTH STONES
1 Sam. 17:40
A. HUMOR: DOING A GOOD DEED
1. A young pastor (trying to live a holy life) was sitting in a restaurant eating lunch. He opened a letter he’d just received that morning from his mom. As he opened it a twenty-dollar bill fell out. He thought to himself, "Thanks, Mom, I sure needed that right now."
2. He noticed a beggar outside on the sidewalk leaning against the light post. Thinking that the poor man needed the $20 more than he, he crossed out his name on the envelope and wrote across the top in large letters, PERSEVERE!
3. He went out and dropped it as he walked past the man. The man picked it up and read the message and smiled. The next day the same man tapped him on the shoulder and handed him a big wad of bills. Surprised, the young pastor asked him what that was for.
4. The man replied, “These are your winnings. 'Persevere' came in first at the Kentucky Derby yesterday and paid thirty to one.”
B. TEXT & THESIS
1. Then the Philistine [Goliath] said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.” 11 On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified. [But David said,] “Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” 1 Sam. 17:10-11,26.
2. Today we’re looking at the opposition we face and the weapons God has given us to prevail in this battle. The title of this message is “Five Smooth Stones.”
I. WHAT IS YOUR GOLIATH?
A. GIANTS YOU MAY BE FACING
David represents the believer, full of faith and in communion with God. Goliath represents the devil or the attack of adverse circumstances. GIANTS YOU MAY BE FACING:
1. You might be a Christian student facing an atheistic professor who taunts or demeans Christians in class;
2. Or you might be a single mother facing overwhelming bills, rebellious kids, and battling questions of your self-worth.
3. Or a person struggling to save your marriage & your kids;
4. Or a TDCJ C.O. facing opposition from a group of inmates.
B. WE DELAY DEALING WITH OUR GIANTS:
1. There’s all kinds of reasons people delay facing their Giants. The Israelites delayed for 40 days facing Goliath because they lacked the vision of how Great their God was.
2. The bigger your God gets, the smaller your problems get! HOW BIG IS YOUR GOD?
a. I heard about one Man who took his son to the Doctor because he swallowed their House Key.
b. The Doctor asked, “When did this happen?”
c. The Man answered, “About 3 Months ago.”
d. Doctor said, “Why are you finally bringing him in Now?”
e. Man said, “Because Now We’ve Lost Our Duplicate Key!”
1. “About twelve years after the famous preacher, Donald Barnhouse, graduated from Bible College, he was invited back to preach in chapel. When he arrived, he noticed one of his old professors had taken a place near the front to hear him.
2. When the service was over, his old professor came up and said, ‘If you come back again, I won’t come to hear you preach. I only come once. I am glad that you are a big-godder. When my students come back, I come to see if they are big-godders or little-godders, and then I know what their ministry will be.’