Summary: This sermon speaks about how as Christians we need to live a righteous life. We need to walk in love, and not in the darkness of sin. We are live a life much different life from what we were like before we came to Christ.
Walk in the Light
Introduction: How many were able to see the lunar eclipse this last week? Here are some pictures. What causes a lunar eclipse? The shadow of the earth comes across the moon. A spiritual comparison, the world’s darkness of evil can block out the light of God.
Scriptures: Ephesians 5:1-10
Ephesians 5:1–10 (NASB95)
1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;
2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
3 But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
7 Therefore do not be partakers with them;
8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light
9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth),
10 trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord.
I. Walk in Love (vs. 1-2)
A. Be imitators of God (vs. 1)
1. We are to desire to be like God in holiness and righteousness
2. As a child imitates his parents we should imitate God
B. Walk in love (vs. 2)
1. Just as Christ loved you
a. He gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice
b. We are to show self-less love like Jesus
2. A fragrant aroma to God
II. Do Not Walk in Darkness (vs. 3-6)
A. Christians are to abstain from evil practices (vs. 3-6)
1. Self-centered vices to please the desires of the flesh
Immorality, impurity, and greed
2. Improprieties in our speech
a. No filthiness (obscenities, foul language)
b. Silly talk (foolish talk)
c. Course jesting (vulgar insinuations, dirty jokes)
B. Reason: There will be no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ for evil doers
1. “For this you know with certainty”
2. For those who continuously practice immorality, impurity, and covetousness
C. Do not be deceived (vs. 6)
1. “Empty word” such as “there is no absolute truth,” “everyone else is doing it”
“the Bible just has outdated rules, that are not for today”
2. God will judge the sons of disobedience
III. Walk in the Light (vs. 7-10)
A. You are a changed person
1. “For you were formerly darkness” (vs. 8) (Ephesians 2:3)
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
2. “But now you are light in the Lord” (vs. 8) (1 Thessalonians 5:4-5)
4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief;
5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness;
We are rescued from darkness (Collossians 1:13)
“For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,”
B. The command to walk as children of the light (vs. 8b-10)
1. Behavior of saints should correspond with are position in Christ
2. The fruit of the light (goodness, righteousness, and truth) (vs. 9)
The opposite of (evil, wickedness, and falsehood)
3. Do what is pleasing to the Lord (vs. 10)
Come out of darkness (2nd to last slide) Come to the Light (last slide)