Summary: Don’t just read but obey. To walk in truth, one knows how to act, what to do, is willing to learn, and is determined to do so.
• John was an elder, he loved the church, he was writing this letter to warn the church and congregation to watch out for false teachers.
• The Truth is Jesus – 1 John 2:21 – I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth
• John 14:6 – I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me
• When we have accepted the truth, we’ve accepted Jesus, we know that He abides in us
• Grace – unmerited favor of God
• Mercy – kindness of God
• Peace – binds together, well-being, stability
• I found of thy children walking in truth –
o Does the church walk in truth?
o Does the church keep God’s commandments?
o Does the church ‘daily walking close to thee’?
• John saw the church in harmony, spirit, truth
o Do we – her hair looks different
o He didn’t shave, the nerve of him
o He’s in jeans, her dress is cut to low
• Keep your eyes on Christ
• I beseech thee – pay attention, listen and hear closely
• We had this commandment from the beginning
• Leviticus 19:18 – thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself
• John 13:34 – love one another, as I have loved you
• It’s one thing to say it, but do we do it, do we show it
• Since the fall of man, Satan has been set on deceiving as many people as possible
• He has led countless astray, pretending to be something he’s not
• John was warning that not only would false teachers come from outside the church, but could come from inside the church as well
• 1 John4:1 – told to try the spirit
• False teachers twist the truth, make it sound good, but denies the power of the Holy Spirit
• Unbelievers are led further away from the Truth by false teachers, and may refuse God outright
• Examine ourselves - Matthew 7:3 – why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye
• How have we served God? Have we done what we Should do?
• False teachers say ‘look at me, look at me’
• When they should be saying ‘look to Jesus, look to Jesus’
• Matthew 7:21-23 – not everyone that saith Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of Heaven…have we not done this or that…depart from me, ye that work iniquity (paraphrased)
• Do we abide in the doctrine of Christ?
• Some refuse to accept virgin birth – resurrection/ascension
• They add to or take away from the scriptures
• Do not encourage false teachers, by letting them in, you approve of what they say
• In early times, some church meetings were held in homes
• Here John is saying don’t let them in
• Guilty by association
• If we’re seen with a certain type of people, others may believe we are the same as them
• 1John 3:1 – we are a peculiar people
• Matthew 6:24 – we can’t serve two masters
• Work to win them to Christ but watch out for the devil’s traps
• John felt it too important to continue writing a letter, felt he could explain more in person
• False teaching is serious, do not overlook it