Summary: History in advance; a panoramic picture of God’s dealings with Israel, the Antichrist, the coming Messiah, and the end of the age.
1. Have you ever been reading a book, OR a novel and you come to a place where you think, “WOW, this is great! I don’t think it’s going to get any better than this?”
• You just hit a place where the plot thickens, the characters expand, the story gets intense… and you’re absorbed with it!
2. Daniel Chapter 9 is where things get exciting in our study.
• Our time in Daniel has been fruitful and challenging.
• We’ve been encouraged, exhorted, uplifted, strengthened!
• I believe every pastor should lead his flock through this book.
• It’s just that awesome!
3. If Daniel were a mountain, this section is the PEAK!
• You could say that we are at the highest point in all this book.
• It’s one of the most powerful & wonderful sections in all of the Bible as God unfolds the prophetic picture.
• But it’s also a little technical so be ready to follow along.
NOW IT’S important to get a handle on Daniel’s 70 weeks.
• Some come to this section as a critic, as they do with the rest of the book of Daniel.
• Some come to this section as a bystander, thinking this sort of stuff is just for the pastor.
• Still others come to this section as students, which has been my prayer for all of us. STUDENTS!
• Remember when Jesus was praying to the Father after his heart was sunk by the unfaithful cities of Chorazin & Bethsaida?
• Let’s look at Matthew 11:25ff
• THIS IS DEFINITELY A SECTION WHERE WE WILL ‘LEARN’.
What are we going to LEARN? It shouldn’t surprise us: PROPHECY.
• History in advance. A panorama picture of God’s dealings with Israel, the antichrist, the coming Messiah, the end of the age.
• So let’s read through this section and come back to study it.
I. (9.20-23) ANSWER TO PRAYER
1. (20) Speaking, Praying, Confessing.
a. The unveiling of the 70 weeks comes in an answer to the prayers of Daniel.
b. As he reads & studies the scrolls of Jeremiah 25 & 29.
c. And his heart breaks over the sins of the nation.
d. And from his broken heart flows prayers & supplications.
e. Remember, he noticed that the 70 YEARS of Israel’s captivity was very close to the end and it’s time to go home.
2. (21-23) Gabriel shows up!
a. So right in the middle of his prayers, this angel shows up!
b. What an answer! But that is A role of angels.
Hebrews 1.14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
SO GABRIEL shows up with an answer that was unexpected.
• Daniel is praying about the future of the CAPTIVITY.
• God answers with a PROPHETIC KEY to the FUTURE.
• The answers really supersedes the request.
A NOTE ON PRAYER BEFORE WE MOVE ON.
• Prayer is powerful! It’s a powerful means to accomplish God’s will on earth, not our will in heaven!
• So Daniel was praying for one thing, but God had different plans.
APP: I hope you’re ready for the answers of God to your prayers.
• You’re praying for missionaries in the Uganda, but God’s answer is “It’s your turn to Go.”! What? No God not me!
• God, Help SO & SO, he’s hurt me, she’s done this to me… and the answer is, “Forgive them and go help them.” What?!
• OR you’re praying for a certain problem or issue in the church and the answer is, “Step up and help solve it.” No way Lord.
APP: Not only is prayer a means to accomplish God’s will on earth.
• It’s also a means to change your heart & mind.
• It’s that open channel that God can use to mold & shape you!
• We see a similar thing with Isaiah, let’s flip to CH6:1ff.
SO Gabriel came forth, v22, to give Daniel skill to understand.
• Three times, as Gabriel is talking with Daniel, he talks about giving him understanding.
APP: God wants you and me to understand the things of the future.
• It’s a tragedy that so many pastors do not teach prophecy.
• They’re not interested in Rev., Daniel, Zechariah, any of it.
• So then we have believers who aren’t interested in prophecy.
• But the Word is clear… God wants to give us understanding.
Dan 12.4 "But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase."
• Prophecy puts us squarely in the position of looking for the soon return of Jesus Christ. It places hope in our hearts!
1 John 3.2-3 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.