Summary: SINCE CHRIST DIED FOR US,GOD WANTS US TO HAVE A NEW WAY OF LIFE
“GOD WANTS US TO HAVE A NEW WAY OF LIFE”
I Peter 1: 13-21
This morning I was assigned to discuss the topic about redeemed by the grace of God. What do we mean by the word grace? Grace means both undeserved favor and divine enablement.
The main purpose of this epistle was to strengthen the readers so they would persevere through their persecution with the right attitude. Peter did this by showing that God's grace provided all they needed for strength. In a larger sense, the purpose is to help Christians know how to live as aliens in the world.
I. A LIFE OF HOLINESS (VV. 13-16)
a. It begins with our minds (v. 13).
The intellectual or intelligent power in man; the understanding; the power that conceives, judges or reasons.
1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
1. Temperate in the use of spiritous liquors; habitually temperate; as a sober man. Live a sober, righteous and godly life.
2. Not intoxicated or overpowered by spiritous liquors; not drunken.
SO'BER, v.t. TO make sober; to cure of intoxication. There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain and drinking largely sobers us again.
The passage reminded us that the believer must have his mind (mental powers) collected and always ready for Christ’s coming. Sober of spirit describes a Christian who is in full control of his speech and conduct.
b. It applies toward attitude (vv. 14-16)
1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
1. Applied to the Supreme Being, holy signifies perfectly pure, immaculate and complete in moral character.
We call a man holy,when his heart is conformed in some degree to the image of God, and his life is regulated by the divine precepts.
2. Consecrated or set apart to a sacred use, or to the service or worship of God.
3. Perfectly just and good; as the holy law of God.
4. Sacred; as a holy witness.
Biblical Definition of Holiness
1. The word “ holy” means to separate/set apart.
2. Holiness requires separation from the secular to the sacred.
3. All Christians are commanded to be holy in all your conduct.
II. A LIFE OF REVERENCE (vv.17-21)
a. Seeing you as obedient children (v.17).
1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
b. Seeing you redeemed by the precious blood (v.18-19).
1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
c. Seeing that your faith and hope might be in God.
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,