“it’s Ok! Take The Veil Off"
Contributed by Allan Kircher on Dec 13, 2014 (message contributor)
Summary: Contemplate/glory of these days This is the day the Lord has made
Shell Point Baptist Church
Oct 26, 2014
“It’s OK! Take it off”
2 Cor. 3:12-18
2 Cor. 3:12…….
Hope makes you look:
• bold, look ridiculous to some people
• Audacious and tenacious
• Mom hang in there and pray for her kid while he’s on drugs.
• You very bold…
• 2 Cor. 3:13-18…..
• Let’s applaud God’s Word in this place today
• Not my most impressive message but the most helpful.
2 Cor. 3 apostle Paul/sharing a rebuttal against a group/people known/super apostle
• Teachers who claimed superiority over Paul/Other apostles who ministered in the same circle as Paul
• They tried/assert/spiritual awesomeness
• set themselves apart/true spiritual guys/putting others down
2 Cor. 3 you see/human side of Paul
• He’s letting the Corinthian church know
• he’s called/chosen by God…..he’s the real deal.
Trying show them spiritual leaders claiming epitome of perfection are false
• Problem in our culture with constant comparison.
• Paul is describing that problem
• Using a different analogy/using the analogy/veil.
Last week/Paul/Abraham/case study/Against all hope…
• Abraham/example/someone/held/his hopes us against all odds.
• Now/passage were he’s using Moses
• most revered figure/prophet/Israel’s history
• Moses who said about himself there has never been a man more humble than himself
• That not the most ultimate humble brag?
• most specific he’s talking/ot occurrence/Ex 34
Moses/meet with God/done meeting
• transference/energy/glory from God to Moses
• so bright/radiant/brilliant/impressive/blinding
• Moses would come out of God presence/people
• put/veil so people not be blinded/glory/God
• they couldn’t handle it head on
• Sort of an act of mercy for Moses to wear this veil.
Paul says hold on “there’s always a story behind the glory.”
• v. 13….watch this church…..prevent the Israelites….
• Paul had some insider information here
• Common folklore is that Moses would wear the veil because Israelites couldn’t stand to steadily behold the glory of God.
• Paul says that was part of it
• another reason Moses would wear this veil
• he didn’t want the people to see when the glory had gone
Old covenant--law written/tablets/stone/couldn’t save you/only instruct you
• didn’t have the power to transform you…Moses knows this
• he knows/people lose their confidence in this covenant
• they won’t follow him anymore
• So he does something pretty slick…..
• he shows the encounters/God but he wears/veil
• don’t want anyone/see/glory fading away—
• Only lasts/short time.
“It’s OK! Take it off• Paul/I’m the kind of preacher/take the veil off
• let you see my acne/skin broken out/struggles
• I’m very bold…I’m going to show you…
• I love it, he’s one upping Moses/most humble man who ever lived.
Good advice…“never preach to people who pretend to be”
• “get behind that mask/peel it off/preach/who they really are
• pulpit is not supposed/pseudo religion
• Preachers who only preach from their strength and never from their struggle.
• Please don’t hear me talk down of other preachers
• Process I have to check myself weekly
• people thank me for the ministry of this church
• Typically don’t tell me I’m deep/impressive/funny….
• What they say/thank you for being real…
• That’s/number one thing I hear
• I receive that as a compliment.
• I don’t know any other way to be…….
• It’s too much work to be impressive
It’s the goal of my ministry to be real and genuine with you/take away the pseudo religion this pulpit.
That’s what Paul is doing when he says 2 Cor. 3:13….
There’s a problem when you try:
• preach that way/live your life like that
• trying to present the image of perfection
• 2 Cor. 3:14…their minds were made dull/repeat
• They lost their power/perception because everything was veiled/they couldn’t see correctly.
Take your veil off/ unveil yourself show me what it’s really like.
• Tell someone “take the veil off”/helping anyone?
We live/world/driven by/presentation/image that we have manufactured
We manipulate people into thinking were something were not.
• Were dying from the pressure from our own presentation of pseudo perfection.
• 2 Cor. 3:14 ….it has not been removed….
• Every other religious system is about a veil.
• Every other attempt to get to God is about a veil.
• A performance/perfection/presentation
• Paul says only in Christ is it taken away
• You ought to be glad for Jesus.
He went in and torn the veil, watch this
• he went in and made access for you to get to God
• just like you are…
• broken/dysfunctional/messy/despicable as you are.
He torn/veil and now He invites you to a life beyond the veil
• Take it away
• only in Christ does this crisis management come to an end
• But he says they don’t get it. 2 Cor. 3:15