Summary: Contemplate/glory of these days This is the day the Lord has made
Shell Point Baptist Church
Oct 26, 2014
“It’s OK! Take it off”
2 Cor. 3:12-18
2 Cor. 3:12…….
Hope makes you look:
• bold, look ridiculous to some people
• Audacious and tenacious
• Mom hang in there and pray for her kid while he’s on drugs.
• You very bold…
• 2 Cor. 3:13-18…..
• Let’s applaud God’s Word in this place today
• Not my most impressive message but the most helpful.
2 Cor. 3 apostle Paul/sharing a rebuttal against a group/people known/super apostle
• Teachers who claimed superiority over Paul/Other apostles who ministered in the same circle as Paul
• They tried/assert/spiritual awesomeness
• set themselves apart/true spiritual guys/putting others down
2 Cor. 3 you see/human side of Paul
• He’s letting the Corinthian church know
• he’s called/chosen by God…..he’s the real deal.
Trying show them spiritual leaders claiming epitome of perfection are false
• Problem in our culture with constant comparison.
• Paul is describing that problem
• Using a different analogy/using the analogy/veil.
Last week/Paul/Abraham/case study/Against all hope…
• Abraham/example/someone/held/his hopes us against all odds.
• Now/passage were he’s using Moses
• most revered figure/prophet/Israel’s history
• Moses who said about himself there has never been a man more humble than himself
• That not the most ultimate humble brag?
• most specific he’s talking/ot occurrence/Ex 34
Moses/meet with God/done meeting
• transference/energy/glory from God to Moses
• so bright/radiant/brilliant/impressive/blinding
• Moses would come out of God presence/people
• put/veil so people not be blinded/glory/God
• they couldn’t handle it head on
• Sort of an act of mercy for Moses to wear this veil.
Paul says hold on “there’s always a story behind the glory.”
• v. 13….watch this church…..prevent the Israelites….
• Paul had some insider information here
• Common folklore is that Moses would wear the veil because Israelites couldn’t stand to steadily behold the glory of God.
• Paul says that was part of it
• another reason Moses would wear this veil
• he didn’t want the people to see when the glory had gone
Old covenant--law written/tablets/stone/couldn’t save you/only instruct you
• didn’t have the power to transform you…Moses knows this
• he knows/people lose their confidence in this covenant
• they won’t follow him anymore
• So he does something pretty slick…..
• he shows the encounters/God but he wears/veil
• don’t want anyone/see/glory fading away—
• Only lasts/short time.