Summary: This election is very important, but despite the outcome, we still may find ourselves disillusioned. David has sage advice for us: "Do not put your trust in princes." So what should be the object of our Trust? There are 3 accessories to gain that trust.
“PUT NOT YOUR TRUST IN PRINCES”(POLITICIANS)
A. HUMOR: LIBERAL KITTENS
1. Chris Matthews (MSNBC Hardball; liberal) was out jogging one morning, and saw a little boy on the corner with a box. 'What's in the box son?' The little boy, who knew who he was, answered, “Kittens, they're Liberal kittens.” Chris said, “Oh, that's awesome,” and ran on.
2. A couple of days later Chris Matthews was again jogging, accompanied by his friend, Paul Krugman (N.Y. Times comm., liberal) and he spied the same boy with his box just ahead. Chris said to Paul, “Watch this,” and they both jogged over to the boy with the box.
3. Chris said, “Look in the box Paul, isn't that cute? Young man, tell my friend Paul what kind of kittens they are.” The boy replied, “They're Conservative kittens.”
4. “What?” Chris said, “I jogged by here the other day and you said they were Liberal kittens. What's changed?
5. “Well,” the boy said, “Their eyes are open now!”
“Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help” Ps. 146:3.
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government & peace there shall be no end” Isa. 9:6-7.
1. We’re a few weeks away from a presidential election. I believe for many reasons, this election is critical to the direction of the U.S., and possibly, it’s economic future and place in the world.
2. I believe it’s the responsibility of every American to vote. We have a representative government: we elect people to go to Austin and Washington D.C. to represent our values and beliefs.
3. Our nation will be judged by God on its decisions of morality and treatment of other nations. Therefore, we should all vote our conscience, not necessarily our pocket books.
4. I won’t be telling anybody how to vote, but I want us to reflect upon the words of King David, the man after God’s own heart. He knew the failings of men.
5. So this morning we’re going to see what David said NOT to trust in, then what we SHOULD trust in, and lastly, the 3 accessories to aid us in this trust.
6. The title of this morning’s message is, “Put Not Your Trust In Princes.”
I. PUT NOT YOUR TRUST IN POLITICIANS
David himself had been a prince (son-in-law to King Saul), so he knew what he was talking about. In his day, princes were equivalent to politicians today.
A. WHY NOT TRUST IN THEM?
1. EVEN THE BEST HAVE MIXED MOTIVES. Most have pride issues, agendas, and some self-aggrandizement.
a. Larry Hardiman said, “The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.”
b. Ronald Reagan said, “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I’ve come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
c. Someone else said, “Why don't we ever hear of a thief stealing from a politician's house? Professional courtesy.”
2. ALL ARE EASILY CORRUPTED. They are influenced by bribes, friends, and the effects of power. They desire to maintain their positions and will compromise to do so. Most of them have ideological ‘bents’ or camps, which go toward extremes.
3. ALL HAVE LIMITED POWER/ABILITY. Many of the problems they face are too big for them to be able to solve:
a. Muslim Terrorism and hatred;
b. The Super-cycle of Debt Deleveraging;
c. The power/influence of other nations, like China, Russia, and lesser threats.
d. Worldwide poverty and disease.
4. Isaiah said, “And the government shall be upon His shoulder.” He didn’t say, “The Government shall rest on the shoulders of the Republican Party or the Democrat party. No! The government shall "rest upon His shoulders." Jesus’.
5. When you start putting your hopes in Washington to solve your problems, you’re heading for a fall!
B. OUTCOME? DISAPPOINTMENT
1. Everyone hailed Barack Obama as the Savior from the problems of the Bush Admin.; and now they hail Mitt Romney as the Savior from the problems of the Obama Administration. But folks, there’s only One Savior and His name is NOT Barack or Mitt, His name is Jesus!
2. What happens if we depend on man?
a. “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord” Jer. 17:5. We turn away from the Lord.
3. Ps. 118:9, "It's better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes." Ps. 60:11 adds, “for vain is the help of man.”