Summary: Listing Of the Nine Biblical Fast
Fruit of Fasting - Nine Biblical Fasts
Believers who are in bondage to demonic powers and need strength to stand against sin
1. Disciples Fast - Purpose : To loose the bands of Wickedness (Isa. 58:6) – freeing our selves and others from addictions to sin.
Key Verse: Matt. 17:21 ~ “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
Lesson: the power wasn’t in the demon but in the lack of it in the disciples
Besetting Sin: See, fasting is self-denying not –
Believers who need answers to complex problems and threatening situations
2. Ezra Fast – Purpose: To undo the heavy burdens” (Isa. 58:6) – to solve problems,
Inviting the Holy Spirit’s aid in lifting loads and overcome barriers, that keep us from walking with the Lord.
Key Verse: Ezra 8:23 So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us.
A Church who is in desperate need of Revival, every tribe, tongue and ation is in desperate need of Evangelization.
3. Samuel Fast – Purpose: “To let the oppressed go free” (Isa. 58:6) – for revival and soul winning, to identify with people everywhere enslaved by sin
Key Verse: 1 Samuel 7:6 And they gathered together to Mizpah, and drew water, and poured [it] out before the LORD, and fasted on that day, and said there, We have sinned against the LORD. And Samuel judged the children of Israel in Mizpah.
Samuel led the fast to bring the Ark of the Covenant back in- and prayed that Isreal would be delivered from the sin that allowed the Ark to be captured.
When the church and its people are crying out for integrity, emotional healing and strength to overcome sinful and destructive habits.
4. Elijah Fast – Purpose: to break every Yoke” (Isa. 58:6) – conquering the mental and emotional problems that would control our lives, and return control to the Lord.
Key Verse: 1 Kings 19:4 But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I [am] not better than my fathers.
1 Kings 19:5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise [and] eat.
1 Kings 19:6 And he looked, and, behold, [there was] a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.
1 Kings 19:7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise [and] eat; because the journey [is] too great for thee.
1 Kings 19:8 And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
Not a formal Fast, Elijah did go with out food while fleeing from Jezebel,
A 21 day fast:
Heightens our awareness of the hunger needs in the world
5. Widows Fast – Purpose: To share our bread with the hungry and care fro the poor (Isa. 58:7) - to meet the humanitarian needs of others.
Key verse: 1 Kings 17:12-16 [And] the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.
To break free from worldliness. And allow us to operate according to God’s will
6. Pauline Fast – Purpose: To allow God’s light to break forth (Isa. 58:8)-To bring clear insight as we make critical decisions.
Key Verse: “Acts 9:9-19 and he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
He had no sight nor direction in his life, After Ananias came both his sight and vision were restored.
For health break through Healing-
7. Daniel Fast – Purpose: For health reasons- (Isa. 58:8) – to gain a healthier life or for healing.
Key Verse: Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
four Hebrew boy’s
But to build them where the King could benefit he had to do four fold strategy
1. Extract them out of there environment. - Diminish the one God theory, put them is a purely Chaldean environment.
2. Change their name’s- see today we name our kid’s any thing but in those day’s the Jew’s would name there children after one of the attribute’s of God. El for Elohim and Ah for Yahweh