Summary: What is victory and what does it mean?
• Victory – a conquest, a gaining of superiority in a contest, overcoming an enemy, success in a struggle, to endeavor against odds or difficulties.
• Defeat – to suffer, prevention of success, loss of a contest, failure, to be overthrown.
Have you ever felt victory over something? Defeat?
Ever had hills to climb, rivers to cross, valleys to go through? Maybe something in your life was a struggle. You fought for a while. Maybe you gave up because you lost hope. Or maybe, you said to yourself, whatever happens, oh well.
In this passage, John writes, the person that dwells in Christ, proceeds not in the act of transgression. Denying sin is the incredible evidence of the spiritual association with, continuation in, and the saving grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ. He that doeth righteously is upright, and being a follower of Christ, shows his faith in his obedience and sufferings. Be that as it may, a man cannot act like the devil, and simultaneously be a disciple of Christ Jesus. A regenerated person should not sin as he did before being born again. Why? Because Christ’s light that is in his heart shows the evil malignancy of sin, whereby he should oppose and hate sin. Let us not serve or enjoy what the Son of God came to destroy.
We all have areas where temptations and old habits are hard to conquer. This is where Satan can attack us, so we must be vigilant and be prepared. John is referring to people who continue to sin and try to find ways to justify their behavior. ‘Doth not commit and cannot sin’ means that the child of God does not deliberately try to sin. All believers sin, but we should be continually striving to overcome sin. ‘His seed remaineth in him’ refers to the children of God abiding in God. A new life was born in us so we should not make a practice of sin.
Being Born of God, is when a person has accepted Christ as their Savior. Being born again is a rebirth into a new family because we have accepted Christ’s death as the propitiation for our sins. God the Father then forgives us and accepts un into this new family. Then, the Holy Spirit moves into our hearts and minds and begins to change us to be more like Christ.
So, what are these three steps to finding victory over sin?
First, we should continually read the Word of God and seek the power of the Holy Spirit. Second, we should run away from lecherous impulses (lustful desires). And third, look for assistance from other believers. We can accomplish this by renewing our minds daily.
• Romans 12:2 – And be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
• Ephesians 4:22-24 – That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Victory brings happiness, joy, and contentment. Defeat brings heaviness, sorrow, and pain.
• Isaiah 41:10 – Fear thou not; for I an with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
• Isaiah 43:18-19 – Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
• Psalms 118:6 – the Lord is on my side, I will not fear, what can man do unto me?
• Ecclesiastes 3:1 – To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
• Job 23:10 – But he knoweth the way that I take; when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
I heard an old, old story
How a Savior came from glory
How He gave His life on Calvary
To save a wretch like me
I heard about His groaning
Of His precious blood's atoning
Then I repented of my sins
And won the victory
O victory in Jesus
My Savior, forever
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him
He plunged me to victory
Beneath the cleansing flood