Summary: Jesus was able to make people follow his instructions. He told Peter to feed the flock of God and that is exactly what he did. If you call yourself a leader, ask yourself, “Do people carry out my instructions?” Why are some people obeyed and some other
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
Jesus was able to make people follow his instructions. He told Peter to feed the flock of God and that is exactly what he did. If you call yourself a leader, ask yourself, “Do people carry out my instructions?” Why are some people obeyed and some others ignored? Develop the art of making people obey your instructions. There are several things you can do.
Nine Ways to Make People Obey You Gladly
1. Do not give unreasonable instructions - People rebel against wicked and unreasonable men.
2. Teach your followers why certain things have to be done - Make people see that your instructions are for their own good. When people understand why they are doing something, they often do it better! That is why for example I preach on: “Fifty Reasons Why Christians Should Be Soul Winners”. I want people to understand the last instruction of Jesus.
3. Explain instructions in detail so that everyone understands the instructions - Sometimes people do not obey simply because they did not understand what you said.
4. Show people that you are not partial or partisan.
5. Let the people see that you obey instructions yourself - Many rebellious people do not realize that they are teaching their followers to be rebellious by their very actions. The Centurion who sent for Jesus illustrated this principle beautifully.
For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
This man was enumerating the instructions which he had given and which were being obeyed. But he was careful to let us know that he also was under authority. In other words, he himself was obeying instructions. The army officer often has to lead people to their deaths. How does he make young men sacrifice their lives on the frightening fields of war? By leading the charge himself when he’s told to do so. If you cannot make people gladly do things they naturally do not like doing, then you are not a leader. Develop this art of making people obey you gladly and people will always wonder about the team who work with you and who love to sacrifice and to serve.
6. Get rid of complaining and murmuring individuals - Such people poison the atmosphere and make everyone feel that they are into a bad thing. It is very important to maintain a cheerful spirit in the workplace. Systematically eradicate complainers and murmurers from your system.
7. Correct wrong attitudes even when they are not fully developed into full-blown disobedience or rebellion.
8. Punish people who disobey - Your organization cannot be established unless people believe that judgment will fall when the wrong thing is done. Punishment is a good thing because it establishes the land. Many disorganized offices are the way they are because no one is ever dismissed. Warnings are issued but no one ever dares to carry out the threat. Let everyone see that when you break the rules, the rules will break you! When you are fair, people will believe in the laws and obey you gladly. If they feel that one rule applies to some people and another rule to other special people, they will rebel against your instructions.
The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it.
9. Reward people accordingly - Even Jesus expected his reward.
For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Jesus was motivated by the thought of his reward. Rewards are some of the highest form of motivation in existence. Why do you think an athlete runs around for hours everyday? Why do you think boxers subject themselves to severe, dangerous and life-threatening knocks on the head? It is because of the joy of a million dollars or more that will come after the knocking is over. The joy that is set before people will make them do almost anything. Rewards can make people do almost anything! People who have died for the cause of Christ, died willingly, thinking of the reward that lay ahead.
When Jesus spoke to Peter, he told him about his death. He predicted that Peter would die in a way that he might not like.
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.