Summary: A BROKEN SPIRIT PLEADS FOR FORGIVENESS AND CLEANSING
A BROKEN SPIRIT PLEADS FOR FORGIVENESS AND CLEANSING
a penitential psalm
I. (:1-4) A BROKEN SPIRIT CONFESSES SIN
A. A Broken Spirit Appeals to the Grace of God (:1)
God’s Grace is Rooted In:
1. His lovingkindness (:1)
2. His compassion (:2)
B. A Broken Spirit Understands the Nature of Sin (:1d-2)
1. transgressions = a breaking of the law
2. iniquity = deviation from what is right
3. sin = missing the mark
C. A Broken Spirit Does not Make Excuses (or deny the reality) (:3)
"I know my transgression"
"My sin is ever before Thee"
D. A Broken Spirit Submits to the Righteousness of the Judge (:4)
II. (:5-9) A BROKEN SPIRIT FINDS HOPE IN CLEANSING AND FORGIVENESS
A. (:5) Our Sinful Nature Presents a Problem
B. (:6) God’s Design is Inner Righteousness
from a spring of:
C. (:7) Cleansing Is the Answer
D. (:8) A Broken Spirit Can be Restored to Wholeness and Joy
E. (:9) Forgiveness is the Answer
III. (:10-13) PLEA FOR RESTORED FELLOWSHIP AS BASIS FOR MINISTRY
A. Cleansing is Necessary
B. Enjoyment of the Presence of God
C. Power of the Holy Spirit within
D. Joy of Salvation
E. Opportunity for Ministry to other sinners
IV. (:14-17) PLEA FOR REMOVAL OF GUILT AS BASIS FOR
A. Forgiveness is Necessary
B. Praise is Appropriate
C. External Sacrifices are not Sufficient
D. A Broken and Contrite Heart is the Starting Point
V. (:18-19) PERSONAL RESTORATION (to Fellowship and Ministry and Worship) QUALIFIES A LEADER TO PETITION FOR NATIONAL RESTORATION
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What role should “guilt” play in the life of a believer? How does God bring us to the point of conviction of sin?
2) How would you define a “broken spirit”?
3) How is the role of the Holy Spirit the same in both the Old Testament and the New Testament? How is it different?
4) How did the Roman Catholic Church ever get caught up in the doctrine of penance – given the clear teaching of Scripture in this psalm?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)