Summary: Before us spread out in panoramic view, yet with a deep veil separating us, is a whole new year of adventuresome living. Spiritually we should and can see a great breakthrough into many hearts that are steeped in the blackness of sin as they come to know
A Call to Christian Consecration for the New Year
Suppose you were to go to the ticket counter at your local airport and say, “I want a ticket.” The clerk would ask, “To where?” And you would say, “Well, anywhere; what places do you have tickets for?” The ticket salesperson would say immediately, “Are you crazy! You’ll never get anywhere, if you don’t know where you want to go.” Too often we approach the new year in just that fashion – without goals and without sound resolutions. Before us spread out in panoramic view, yet with a deep veil separating us, is a whole new year of adventuresome living. Spiritually we should and can see a great breakthrough into many hearts that are steeped in the blackness of sin as they come to know Christ a Savior and Lord and thus come into the sunshine of His saving grace.
For us as individual, it can be the greatest year yet if we do the following.
I. Resolve to make this the most wonderful year yet.
It should be a wonderful year because:
a. There is a wonderful relationship between you and the Lord of all life, Jesus Christ.
i. We must know him as Savior by a personal encounter without which there is no knowledge of him.
John 3:3 – “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the
ii. We must know him intimately through day to day fellowship with him.
1. A dear saint once said to her pastor, “Pastor, I could not get through a day without an active fellowship with my Master. I am constantly in an attitude of prayer.”
iii. We must know him as Lord of our daily lives.
1. We should make no decisions without first consulting our Master; we should wait for his instructions and leadership each day of our lives.
b. There is a thrilling anticipation of what lies ahead. We ought to be spiritually excited about the New Year and what can be accomplished for the Lord.
c. Because we have systematized our enthusiasm for the coming year.
The following are three methods by which you can systematize your enthusiasm and cause it to produce for you during the coming year:
i. Write down the things that you want to accomplish during the coming year, numbering them 1,2,3, etc., thus, having down in black and white something definite toward which to work.
ii. Study your job, is requirements, its possibilities, and its potentialities for at least one hour each day for five days a week. If you will do this honestly, you probably will be looked on as an expert in your field within 5-6 years.
iii. Spend at least thirty minutes per day in deep meditation concerning ideas for the improvement of your job, jotting down at least a half dozen or so of these ideas.
1. Perhaps at the end of the week you will discover that out of the many ideas jotted down, there will be at least one great idea that will carry you forward in your work
iv. Most of these ideas just mentioned have concerned themselves with secular life.
1. As Christians we could well afford to carry out these ideas for self improvement.
2. The Christian faith is in a time of great competition with ideologies that grab the imagination of the youth of our land.