Summary: This message defines the Christians as a person who pleases God, and incredible truth for every follower of Christ.
A PERSON WHO PLEASES GOD
Last week we look at 7 blessings that Christians have. These included: God’s Word; Grace; Peace; a Heavenly Father; faith; love, and hope in God.
Today we will see that another definition of a Christian is someone who pleases the Lord in every way.
I. Notice first that this is the content of Paul’s prayer: 1:9-10a)
1. Filled with the knowledge of God’s will
2. Live lives worthy of the Lord
3. Please him in every way
II. Notice second that what Paul prays about is what he also commands the people to do. How do Christians please God? (1:10-14)
1. We please God by bearing fruit with good works (1:10C)
The apostle says we were saved and shaped by God (workmanship) for good works! (Ephesians 2:10).
2. We please God by Knowing God better (1:10)
Knowing Christ is Paul’s main desire. He lives to know God as revealed by Chrsit (Philippians 3:10).l
3. We please God when we are transformed into strong and tough followers (1:11)
4. We please God by joyfully thanking Him for his salvation (1:11c-12)
The person Paul had in mind who pleases the Lord exceedingly is someone who has learned that his joy is God himself. That no matter what is happening in the Christian’s life we find God to be trustworthy.
This joy and gratitude stem from what God has done through Jesus.
a. Qualified to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light
b. Rescued from the dominion of darkness
c. Brought into the kingdom of Jesus
d. We have received forgiveness of sins!