Summary: Many Christians are abandoning their support for Israel. Christians are instructed to support Israel and pray for peace in that country.
On May 15, just 2 weeks ago, a worship service at Cornerstone Church was interrupted for over an hour. The church’s pastor, John Hagee, was conducting a Support Israel Sunday. Unknown to the pastor or congregation, 11 Demonstrators from the “Esperanza Peace and Justice Center, participated in this anti-Israel church invasion.” Security personnel from the church had to remove the protesters, one by one, as they took turns interrupting the sermon. It is amazing that we have not heard about this on the news. If this would have happened anywhere other than a church, it would have been the headline on every newscast. (John Hagee Ministries Weekly Update - May 17, 2011)
On Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed a joint session of Congress. He was warmly received at a time when Israel’s survival is more threatened than at any time since the nation declared its independence 63 years ago.
Many Christians no longer support Israel. Why has Christian support diminished in recent years? I believe that there are two answers.
1) The preponderance of Replacement Theology.
2) The influence of post-modernism among Christians. Within the philosophy of the Emergent Church is a the view that the Palestinians as oppressed. Emergent Christianity has revived the “Social Gospel” views that were a part of Liberal Christianity, and this liberal mind-set would sooner support the politically correct position rather than the biblical one.
What is the Christian Response to Israel and the Jewish People?
Christians should support the Jewish people and their right to exist as a nation.
We should support Israel Because God Promised to Bless Abraham. Genesis 12:3 "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
A. God CREATED the WORLD to demonstrate His GLORY
B. God CHOOSE ISRAEL to demonstrate His glory.
1. Deuteronomy 7:7–8 "The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. " "But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. "
2. Isaiah 49:3 "He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.” "
3. Isaiah 60:21 "Then will all your people be righteous and they will possess the land forever. They are the shoot I have planted, the work of my hands, for the display of my splendor. "
C. Israel did not claim the LAND for themselves, GOD gave it to them!
We should support Israel Because God Gave Israel the Land Forever
A. It was promised to them. Gen 15:18-20
B. God even promised that He would bring them back when they were punished for their sin. Deut 30:1-5
Notice just a few of the verses in which God reiterates His unconditional promise that the Land of Israel belonged to the Jewish people forever.
A. Genesis 13:15 "All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever. "
B. Genesis 17:8 "The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you;
C. Genesis 48:4 ‘I am going to make you fruitful and will increase your numbers. I will make you a community of peoples, and I will give this land as an everlasting possession to your descendants after you.’ "
D. Exodus 32:13 "Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.’
E. Deuteronomy 4:40 "Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the Lord your God gives you for all time.
F. Joshua 14:9 "So on that day Moses swore to me, ‘The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed the Lord my God wholeheartedly.’"
G. 1 Chronicles 28:8 “Be careful to follow all the commands of the Lord your God, that you may possess this good land and pass it on as an inheritance to your descendants forever. "
H. 2 Chronicles 20:7 "O our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend? "