Summary: This is not a Lost Man asking this but a Saved man--The Cry of a man in Misery.
WHEN DOES A CHRISTIAN NEED A CLEAN HEART?
Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me"
1. This is not a Lost Man asking this but a Saved man--The Cry of a man in Misery.
2. II Sam. 12--Nathan had told David that God had discovered His Sin but God would have mercy.
3. His Sin Needed Cleansing: Psa. 51--Seven Consequences of Sin
a. Vs. 7--Sin Defiles b. Vs. 8--Sin Deafens c. Vs. 9--Sin Disgraces
d. Vs. 10--Sin Damages e. Vs. 11--Sin Dooms f. Vs. 12--Sin Depresses
g. Vs. 12--Sin Defeats
4. When Does a Christian Need a Clean Heart? See II Sam. 11
I. WHEN HE STEPS OUT OF THE WILL OF GOD--Vs. 1
A. Time of Prosperity--Statement--"when kings go forth to battle" says that times were Favorable for David.
B. Time of Neglect--David used to pray 3 times a Day
C. Time of Inactivity- Illustrate--When a Stream is flowing, the water is kept pure but if its flow is stopped, the
Stream becomes stagnant.
D. How do you know you’ve stepped out of the Will of God-Psa. 51:12 "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation"
II. WHEN HE DESIRES THAT WHICH IS FORBIDDEN--Vs. 2--"..he saw a woman washing herself"--Saw--Hebrew word--"to see like a vulture"--More than a glance, it was a gaze
A. Danger of the Old Nature--
1. Illustrate-Like a Ship loaded with Gunpowder-May look trim, clean and safe-But only a Spark could set it off.
2. James 1:15--"Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and when sin is finished, bringeth forth
a. Illustrate--Like Dominoes--It only takes one Domino to fall.
b. Illustrate--Flirting with Sin, Sympathize with Sin--Like a man aggravating a snake--Pretty soon he’ll get bit.
B. How do you know?--Desires are wrong--When it consumes your Time and Energy.
III. WHEN HE IGNORES GOD’S WARNING--Vs. 3
A. He Inquires--Word "inquire" means to search diligently. David was burning in lust for this woman.
B. He Ignores the Warning--Don’t who the Individual was but He thoroughly warned David.
1. She’s Married
2. Her Husband--Uriah--One of David’s Mighty Men--A Captain
C. How do you know--Ignoring the Warning--When You Go Deeper in the Sin.
1. Notice--Vs. 4--Three Words Tell He Ignored the Warning of God
b. "Took Her"
c. "Lay with Her."
2. If you are Farther away from God now--Ignoring the Warning
IV. WHEN HE INVOLVES INNOCENT PEOPLE--Vs. 3, 5
A. Bathsheba--Lady of good reputation--Home Alone--Intimidated by His Position--Unable to Defend Herself.
B. Joab--David’s Mighty Leader--Drawn into the Sin by placing Uriah in the Heat of the Battle.
C. Uriah--David’s Friend--Out there on the Battlefield fighting and giving His Life for his King and Country.
D. Little Baby--Permitted to Die to Break David’s Heart.
E. A Christian Needs a Clean Heart when He involves Innocent people in his Sin.
1. Achan--His whole Family--Innocent of Daddy’s Sins but drawn into the Judgment of that Sin.
F. How do you Know--Involving Innocent People? When You start seeing Your Sin being Punished in their lives.
No Man lives to himself.
V. WHEN HE WAS UNAFFECTED BY THE RESULT OF HIS SIN--Vs.25
A. Joab’s Message--"Uriah’s Dead"
B. David’s Response--Vs. 25--"Let not this thing displease thee, for the sword devoureth one as well as another."
1. He Looked upon His Sin as an Accident--He Just swept it under the Rug.
2. No Guilt, No Remorse, No Repentance, No Tears--Just a Cold, Dirty Heart.
CONCLUSION: GOD WAS MERCIFUL TO DAVID
1. The Punishment for Adultery and Murder was Death.
2. David was Given a Chance to Get His Heart Clean
3. It Would Have Been a Lot Better to Do it Before Sin had taken its Toll. What will it take to get yours clean.