Summary: What does it REALLY mean to walk in the Spirit?
A. Commanded to walk in the Spirit.
B. The fact that there is a command means that there is a choice.
C. Three types of minds:
1. The natural mind -- I Corinthians 2:14 (quickview)  -- "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
3. Spiritual mind -- Colossians 1:9 (quickview)  -- "For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;"
D. The natural mind is the result of being born the first time.
E. The carnal mind is the result of knowing God but acting in the flesh.
F. The Spiritual mind is the result of walking in the Spirit.
I. WHAT IT MEANS TO BE IN THE SPIRIT.
A. In = Be To be completely covered with or surrounded (like water).
C. To be in the Spirit is the same as being in light. You are submerged and surrounded.
D. Baptism is a transliteration of the Greek "baptizo," meaning "to immerse."
E. Immersion in the Spirit = Baptism in the Spirit.
II. REASONS FOR THE REJECTION OF THE BAPTISM IN THE SPIRIT.
A. Because of the misunderstanding that it is always accompanied with the believer speaking in tongues. (Sometimes it is.)
1. This is based on Acts 2:2-4 (quickview)  – "And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
2. This is called transcendental interpretation. It is taking one incident and saying that "this is the way it is!" In other words, this one
event transcends time, and this is always the way it happens.
3. Is it really? For the sake of argument, let’s say that this interpretation is correct.
a. Where’s the sound of wind from Heaven?
b. Where is the visible manifestation of "cloven tongues?"
c. If a believer always has to speak in tongues to be filled with the Spirit, then it will always be accompanied also by wind and lightning.
4. This interpretation is inconsistent.
1. Just as you become a child of God at salvation, you also receive the Spirit into your heart at salvation – Galatians 4:6 (quickview)  – "And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father."
2. If the Spirit is not dwelling within you, you are not a Christian – Romans 8:9 (quickview)  – "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."