Summary: Explains how God is our "deliverer" from fear and captivity.
Exodus is an interesting book…full of pictures…Moses/Jesus (Moses led the people, fed the people and carried their burdens), Israel/church, Egypt/world, Pharaoh/Satan, manna/Jesus, Passover/cross
• Genesis is a book on identity of God’s people
• Exodus the story of the Jews exiting Egypt…it is a book about liberty…how to live free in God…his pathway of freedom in our lives
• There are two scenarios of the time Israel was released; the earliest date of 1441-1450 BC which seems to be the most likely…
• The second date is 200 years later
Moses’ name = mo-sheh from maw•shaw = to draw out…Hebrew / Egyptian name is sun…double antendra his name is key in two different languages…he would draw out the people of God…like the Son
• Moses’ life divided equally into three parts 40 years in Egypt, 40 years in the desert and 40 years leading Israel
All of these things are written for us to learn from…Old Testament shadow of New Testament reality
I Corinthians 10:6-11, “Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved...these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.”
Exodus was written by Moses and mostly about Moses and Israel (John 7:19; 5:46-47).
More than that it is about a deliverer
Read Acts 7:11-29 – History of the story
Acts 7:35, “This Moses whom they disowned, saying, ‘who made you a ruler and a judge?’ is the one whom God sent to be both a ruler and a deliverer with the help of the angel who appeared to him in the thorn bush.”
• Deliverer = loo-tro - appears nine times in Exodus - root is to ransom, redeem, buy back...to purchase for a ransom…lutron = to ransom, luo = untie, free from prison…
• Ransom = substitution…Jesus taking our place
The background of Exodus can be briefly summarized as follows: about 1877 B.C. the family of Jacob descended into Egypt. Because of Joseph’s position in that land the Israelites were treated cordially. A Pharaoh arose, however, who did not know Joseph. The Israelites were gradually persecuted and then enslaved. Toward the end of the 430 year stay in Egypt, God raised up a deliverer for His people.
Moses is a wonderful picture of Jesus Christ.
Moses was a prophet (Acts 3:22);
Chapter 1- 2 things that we all face in a world that makes life tough