Summary: Explains how God is our "deliverer" from fear and captivity.
Exodus is an interesting book…full of pictures…Moses/Jesus (Moses led the people, fed the people and carried their burdens), Israel/church, Egypt/world, Pharaoh/Satan, manna/Jesus, Passover/cross
• Genesis is a book on identity of God’s people
• Exodus the story of the Jews exiting Egypt…it is a book about liberty…how to live free in God…his pathway of freedom in our lives
• There are two scenarios of the time Israel was released; the earliest date of 1441-1450 BC which seems to be the most likely…
• The second date is 200 years later
Moses’ name = mo-sheh from maw•shaw = to draw out…Hebrew / Egyptian name is sun…double antendra his name is key in two different languages…he would draw out the people of God…like the Son
• Moses’ life divided equally into three parts 40 years in Egypt, 40 years in the desert and 40 years leading Israel
All of these things are written for us to learn from…Old Testament shadow of New Testament reality
I Corinthians 10:6-11, “Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved...these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.”
Exodus was written by Moses and mostly about Moses and Israel (John 7:19; 5:46-47).
More than that it is about a deliverer
Read Acts 7:11-29 – History of the story
Acts 7:35, “This Moses whom they disowned, saying, ‘who made you a ruler and a judge?’ is the one whom God sent to be both a ruler and a deliverer with the help of the angel who appeared to him in the thorn bush.”
• Deliverer = loo-tro - appears nine times in Exodus - root is to ransom, redeem, buy back...to purchase for a ransom…lutron = to ransom, luo = untie, free from prison…
• Ransom = substitution…Jesus taking our place
The background of Exodus can be briefly summarized as follows: about 1877 B.C. the family of Jacob descended into Egypt. Because of Joseph’s position in that land the Israelites were treated cordially. A Pharaoh arose, however, who did not know Joseph. The Israelites were gradually persecuted and then enslaved. Toward the end of the 430 year stay in Egypt, God raised up a deliverer for His people.
Moses is a wonderful picture of Jesus Christ.
Moses was a prophet (Acts 3:22);
Chapter 1- 2 things that we all face in a world that makes life tough
• Scheming vs.10…the devil Ephesians 6:11 schemes against us
• Enslavement…vs.11-14 driven into bondage, not unlike how many of us are driven into despair
I. WHAT TAKES YOU CAPTIVE?
• The answer for most of us is fear…
• Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of rejection, fear of loneliness, fear…
• It is almost always unreasonable…you can’t reason with fear…so how do you get out of it?
• David had a problem with fear…
• That he needed to be delivered from…
• God is a deliverer… God rescuing us…saving us…delivering us
Psalm 34 all about deliverance
• David says four times vss.4,6,17,19 - God is a deliverer
• He will take us out!
• We all battle fears
• When we are driven by fears we often can’t explain our behavior…we do dumb things
• Good news here…David did as well!
• He was fleeing King Saul who wanted to kill him (jealous) and he fled to the camp of his enemies…
• What for? Who knows…he had killed goliath years earlier and these guys hated him
• Then he had to fake insanity to escape…actually he was a half bubble off just to go there!
Psalms 34:4-8, “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were radiant, and their faces will never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them.”
II. DEALING WITH YOUR FEARS
• What are you afraid of? We have our t-shirts “no fear” but truth is we all have them
• From the dark to the unknown
• David listed his fears here