Summary: How could such seemingly faithful and fruitiferous saints of God return to the beggerly elements of this world and the devices of the Evil One?
Title: A DIAGRAM OF DEFECTION (Why Men Go Back)
(Definition) DEFECTION: conscious abandonment of allegiance or duty (as to a person, cause, or doctrine)__www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/defection
Texts: 2 Peter 2:1-3 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
"1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, and will bring swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their unrestrained ways, and the way of truth will be blasphemed because of them.
3. They will exploit you in their greed with deceptive words. Their condemnation, pronounced long ago, is not idle, and their destruction does not sleep."
1 Timothy 4:1(KJV) "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"
Truth : We have often heard of folk who have departed from the faith. Maybe some we have known personally. We are saddened by those actions. We have questions. Was it a sudden thing? How could such seemingly faithful and fruitiferous saints of God return to the beggerly elements of this world and the devices of the Evil One?
According to a certain group of Bible Scholars (JFB), First Timothy Chapter Four gives a PREDICTION OF A COMING DEPARTURE FROM THE FAITH. Well, that day is here in full force.
Many who were once solid and productive members of the faith are now COLD OR LUKE WARM AND INDIFFERENT toward Christ and the things of God the Father.
This present world holds:
1. allurements for the un-suspecting--("Christians are often tripped up by things that were a threat but they did not see them as a threat."__David Guzik)
2. attractions for the un-initiated
3. pressures from the peers--( We often think of many things as dangerous to us as Christians - hostile government, secular humanism, academic attack, and so forth. But the things we accept in our midst as Christians that open the door to immorality and idolatry can do far more real damage than any of those other things.__David Guzik)
4. promises from the polluted
2 Thesslonians Chapter Two describes a time, similar to today, where we are faced with rumblings, portents, and beginnings of detrimental and deadly things designed to destroy mens' souls.
Benedict Arnold‚ a colonial general who during the American Revolutionary War defected to the British Army.
Orlando Hernandez, a baseball pitcher, defected from Cuba on Christmas Day 1997 to Miami.
Igor Gouzenko, a Soviet cipher clerk who defected to Canada and released information regarding Soviet espionage
activities in western society. Credited as one of the triggering factors for the beginning of the Cold War.
Demas (name means popular), 2 Timothy 4:10, "For Demas has forsaken me:"
Paul remembers those who have forsaken him. Some (like Demas) left him because they had loved this present world (literally, "the now age," Strong's G165).