Summary: God is looking for a few good men to lean on him; lead like him; and learn to love as he does.
1. Men ARE from Mars and Women ARE from Venus – Communication Issues
a. I heard a story that seems appropriate to the subject. A woman visited an attorney and was fed up with her husband and wanted a divorce, and she says to the attorney, ‘I wish to file for a divorce’. He says, ‘do you have grounds?’, and she says ‘approximately a quarter of an acre’. He says, ‘no, I mean, do you have a grudge?’ She says, ‘no, but we have a carport’. He thought for a moment and says ‘well, let me ask you this – does your husband beat you up?’ She says, ‘no, I am always the first one up every morning’. Finally and frustrated he says, ‘well, why do you want a divorce?’ She says, ‘my husband doesn’t understand me’. Sometimes we communicate but we don’t really understand what we are saying.
b. Men’s Thesaurus
(Men don’t always say what they mean) – ladies, please allow me to translate for your future benefit:
• When a man says “IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG TO EXPLAIN” He means: "I have no idea how it works"
• When a man says "TAKE A BREAK, HONEY. YOU ARE WORKING TOO HARD’’ He means: "I can’t hear the game over the vacuum cleaner"
• When a man says ’THAT’S INTERESTING DEAR.’ He means: "Are you still talking?"
• When a man says: "IT’S A GUY THING" He means: "There is no rational thought pattern connected with this, and you have no chance at all of making it logical"
• When a man says "CAN I HELP WITH DINNER?" He means: "Why isn’t it ready yet?"
• When a man says ’I CAN’T FIND IT.’’ He means: "It didn’t fall into my outstretched hand, so I’m completely clueless"
• When a man says “I HEARD YOU.” He means: "I haven’t the foggiest clue what you just said and I am hoping desperately that I can fake it well enough so that you’ll not spend the next 3 days yelling at me."
• When a man says "I’M NOT LOST. I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE WE ARE.’’ He means: "No one will ever see us alive again."
• If your husband says, “honey, what color is this?” He means: ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. I have no idea what “taupe” is.
2. Tough job to be a dad today
a. Not really a new thing – Adam; Abraham; Eli; David
b. Today’s challenges
• Undermining of values – culturally (remember Rome and other pagans)
• Destruction of homes
• Economic difficulties
• Stresses of Job; Home; Church and balancing them all
3. And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found none. Ezekiel 22.30
4. God is looking for men to:
I. Lean on the LORD
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. Proverbs 3.5