Summary: What is, how to obtain, and the benefits of a heart fixed on God.
Jas 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways
A Double Mind person is:
- One that is distracted between the alternate feelings of faith and distrust
- Double souled, always pulled two ways. One set of desires for heavenly things and another set of desires for worldly things - trying to secure both worlds.
- One with no settled principles, but controlled by feelings
- One that is fickle and inconsistent in their Christian life
The opposite of this would be - Ps 86:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
We know we need the truth, but how do we live the truth? How do we impact others?
It will begin with a fixed heart.
Psalms 57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
Psalms 108:1 O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.
Psalms 112:7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
A fixed heart is determined and steadfast.
What will it take one to have a fixed heart?
I. A Renewed Enjoyment Ps 16:11
A. The Path - It is He that shows us the path.
B. The Proximity - It is there we find fullness of Joy
C. The Provision - His right hand is the place of provision.
II. A Remembered Plan - God wants us to grow- 2 Peter 1:5 8
A. Remember how you first Trusted
1. The Joy of Hearing - Ephesians 1:13
2. The Joy of Salvation - 2 Timothy 1:9
B. Remember the Trials - The times of the Christian life that were not as easy-Heb 10:32
C. Remember the Triumph - God will give victory - I Corinthians 15:57, Ro 8:37
III. A Revived Walk - 2 Chronicles 7:14
A. Recognize the Family Relationship B my people, my name
B. Relinquish your own Rationale humble
C. Rely solely on God (fixed) B pray and seek
D. Repent of your wrong directions turn
IV. A Refreshed Peace - Isaiah 26:3
A. A Mind that is Fixed
B. A Life founded on Faith
C. A Heart full of Peace
Conclusion: Are you fixed on anything, or double minded? 1Jo 1:6
By the direction in which you are now traveling, where is your spiritual life headed?
1. We must desire to Know God more
2. We must be FIXED on Godliness
3. We must recognize that as God’s children we are already victorious
4. We must recognize that we are not our own
5. We must recognize that we are not of this world, but alive unto God
6. We must be Fixed or focused on living lives that are solely dependent,
expectant, affected and controlled by the things and ways of God
Disclaimer: A man once told me that if it is true, it is not new. If it is new, it is not true. We all know there is nothing new under the sun. With that said, I glean ideas for my sermons from God’s Word, my own thoughts and work, and many other sources. Any similarity to my sermons and others, where credit is not given, is either coincidental, or an unintentional mistake on my part. As none of us have a corner on the wisdom and teaching of God’s Word, it is my desire that any of my outlines be an encouragement, a help, and hopefully a motivation for others to preach God’s Word clearly. Please feel free to use any portion of my sermons if they can be of help to you and your ministry. I purposely include a skeleton outline, and not my full text, for this purpose. It is all for His Glory.