Summary: A sermon about godly mothers in our life.
“The Godly Mother’s Contribution”
Prov. 24:3-4; 2 Tim. 1:3-7
Dr. Steven G. Cook
Origin of Mother’s Day –
In a small Methodist church in Grafton, WV, a Sunday school teacher named Anna Reeves Jarvis, decided to honor mothers. Her daughter actually is credited with getting the town of Grafton to celebrate the first Mother’s Day in 1907. In 1909 the city of Philadelphia decided to pick up on the idea and celebrate a day honoring mothers. Finally, on May 8, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson designated the second Sunday in May as the official celebration of Mother’s Day in the United States.
A. Prov. 24:3-4 - “Through wisdom is a house builded; and by understanding it is established; And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.”
B. In our text this morning, we find 3 Vital Characteristics of building
1. Wisdom 2. Understanding 3. Knowledge
C. Abraham Lincoln once said, “No man is poor who had a godly
D. Motherhood today is not viewed as it once was - Today there are many in our society that believe that motherhood is something that prevents women from fulfilling their “total potential”; some argue that motherhood suppresses women’s rights; Motherhood is often disrespected in the United States to a large degree.
E. Today, there is much talk about “soccer moms” and “working moms” and “den moms” - but the world no longer is interested in “godly moms”.
F. Our text mentions 3 Vital Characteristics of Godly Motherhood.
G. One man said that the greatest translation he ever saw was his mother’s translation which she lived during his lifetime.
H. Timothy had such a translation to read in his mother, Eunice, and his grandmother, Lois.
I. Read 2 Timothy 1:3-7
II. Timothy’s Godly Mother & Grandmother (2 Tim. 1:3-7)
A. Let me first of all state emphatically - Though this sermon deals
with the topic of “Motherhood”, there is something that we all can
learn from the Word of God.
B. Paul reflects upon the importance of Timothy’s mother and grand-
mother and their influence upon his life.
C. Illustration - “Only God Can Count the Apples in Each Seed”
D. Raising children is a difficult thing -
1. The Law of Heredity states that all undesirable traits come
from the other parent!
2. If you don’t want your children to know what you are saying,
pretend that you are talking to them.
3. There was never a child so lovely but his mother was not glad
to see him asleep (Ralph Waldo Emerson).
4. If your wife doesn’t treat you as she should, BE THANKFUL!
III. 5 Contributions Timothy’s Mother Made in the Home
A. Revealed Tenderness - (vs. 4)
1. Timothy was a man given to shedding tears.
2. No doubt Timothy learned this tenderness from his mother.
3. In our society, the father is often negligent in showing emotions to their children.
4. Illustration - Cosie’s tenderness for others.
5. Today, there is a movement from HELL that is teaching our mothers to be hard, tough, and invincible!
6. God have mercy on our society that is moving away from the Biblical teachings and moving toward such paganism and barbarianism.