Summary: To be so nourished and fed in God’s Word so you can instruct, lead, and guide the flock as a pastor.
1. Remember, we’re studying through a note that was written from the aged, the seasoned, a mature Apostle Paul.
a. To the young, growing, maturing protégé Timothy.
1 Tim. 3.14-15 These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly; 15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
NOTE: Timothy, these things are recorded for you so that you might know how to conduct yourself in the house of God.
• There are certain criteria to use and a right conduct to follow.
NOTE: The church of Jesus doesn’t belong to man.
• It’s not a man thing, not a corporate organization.
• The church of Jesus Christ, belongs to Him.
• It’s a God thing, a living, breathing, moving organism.
• Held together by life, & that life comes through the Holy Spirit.
• BUT If an organism is not organized, it will die sooner or later.
• And there is a danger…
• When the organization starts to hinder spiritual life and ministry, then the church becomes just another religious institution that exists to keep itself going.
NOTE: And so Timothy… here are the needs in the church.
• Be careful not to argue about things that waste time.
• Keep your eyes, and the church’s eyes on Jesus Christ.
• Make sure the men are praying, the women are submitting, and the leaders are qualified spiritually.
NOW IN CH 4, Paul moves on the personal life of the minister.
• He lays out the need for the minister to be GOOD, to be GODLY, and finally to be GROWING personally.
I. (4:1-6) ENCOURAGED IN THE WORD
1. (1) There will be those that depart.
a. Timothy, don’t be surprised as some depart from the faith.
b. It’s going to happen, especially in the latter times.
NOTICE the Holy Spirit is a PERSON. The 3rd person of the Holy Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.
• Not a force or impersonal power… here, the Holy Spirit speaks.
• Let’s walk through the Scriptures as we see the Holy Spirit doing on that which a person can do:
o John 14:26 – He teaches & helps us to remember.
o John 16:8-10 - He convicts of Sin.
o Acts 13:2 – He calls believers to service.
o Romans 8:14 – He leads.
o Romans 8:27 – He intercedes.
o Revelation 2:7 – He speaks.
o Acts 5:1-4 – We can lie to Him.
o Eph. 4.30 – We can grieve Him.
NOTE: And on your insert this morning there are many more attributes about the Holy Spirit.
• We paused here because there is so much confusion and fear regarding the Holy Spirit.
• But we need Him & His Power & leading every day of our lives!
SO TIMOTHY… since many will depart from the faith, make sure your doctrine is correct.
• Why are people departing?
• They’re listening to deceiving spirits and following doctrines of demons. There are demonic teachings out there, today!
NOTE: It’s AMAZING TODAY to find so many listening to demons and teachings from the demonic realm.
• Large segments of Christianity exist that base their whole church life on doctrines of Demons.
• There’s even a growing ‘spiritual warfare’ movement that teaches demons can possess the Christian!!!
• Where did that come from?
• It certainly didn’t come from the Scriptures.
Eph. 1.13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
1 John 4.4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
NOTE: There’s also a movement that associates every bad thing in the Christian’s life to a demon…
Q: Where in the Scriptures do we find demons associated with negative things, such as poverty, or lying, or lethargy.
• If you fall asleep during a sermon (never happens here of course) then you’ll be called up to have the demon of lethargy cast out.
• Of if you’re hit with hard times, cast out the demon of poverty!
• If it was only that easy gang!
NOTE: We need to base our ministry & our theology on the TRUTH, the Word of God, and the basics… the foundations of truth that the Spirit of God speaks forth not demons.
So the Spirit says expressly that in the last days, it won’t be easy to minister the gospel… Jesus said:
Matthew 24.11-12 "Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 "And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.