Summary: The importance of a Father
A Great Dad
There once was YOUNG MOTHER WHO WENT DOWN TO THE NURSERY AT A HOSPITAL AND FOUND HER YOUNG HUSBAND PEERING DOWN AT HIS NEWBORN BABY WHO WAS ASLEEP. THE MOTHER COULD TELL HE WAS CAPTIVATED BY THE SCENE AS HE STOOD THERE LOOKING AT THE SLEEPING INFANT. SHE WAS SO TOUCHED THAT FINALLY SHE TIPTOED UP BEHIND HIM AND SLIPPED HER ARM THROUGH HIS AND SAID, "HONEY, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT?" HE SAID, "I JUST CAN’T UNDERSTAND HOW THEY’RE ABLE TO MAKE A CRIB LIKE THIS FOR $89.95." (Stever Malone--SermonCentral.com)
Fathers are interesting creatures.
Here are the TOP 4 THINGS YOU’LL NEVER HEAR DAD SAY
4 Here’s a credit card and the keys to my car. GO CRAZY!!
3. Your mother and I are going away for the weekend. You might want to consider throwing a party.
2. Whaddya wanna go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend.
1. Well, how ’bout that? I’m lost! Looks like we’ll have to stop and ask for directions.
There has ALWAYS been a great need for Dads.
• We may think they’re weird because of what they wear
• Or their lack of emotions.
• But Dad’s are essential in our homes today.
• So with this being said
• What does the Bible tells us about what makes a great dad?
1). A great dad loves his children.
Psalm 103:13, “As a father has compassion on his children…”
• The word compassion is a word that means to love deeply & to cherish.
• Dads are to cherish and nurture their children.
• Mom’s you aren’t off the hook.
• You are to love your kids too.
• But, far too many dads aren’t doing this.
2). A great dad is fair to his children.
Ephesians 6:4, “And now a word to you fathers. Don’t make your children angry by the way you treat them.
The NIV translation says don’t exasperate your children.
• Don’t wear them out. Don’t nag them. Don’t make them hostile.
• Treat them fairly but that doesn’t mean you don’t discipline them.
• We just don’t unfairly punish them.
• We have to be reasonable.
• We all know that as kids we are going to do things that they’re asked not too.
• And from a kids point of view I am not saying your not allowed to get angry
• But if we do something that deserves being grounded or spanked
• We have to take our medicine.
• Even if we don’t like it.
3). A great dad takes the time to train and instruct his children.
Let’s look at the rest of the Ephesians 6:4 verse. “Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction approved by the Lord.”
• What kind of instruction? Moral and spiritual instruction.
• A better way to say this is to teach them absolute truth.
• To Teach them the difference between Right and wrong.
• Good and evil. Heaven and hell. Morality & Immorailty.
• Children, as long as you live in your parent’s home your response should be this: “ I am going to obey you.”