Summary: Taken from Mark 16 showing the greatness of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
A Great Resurrection
Intro: Of all the holidays that we celebrate the greatest for
believers is the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
-For the believer it means life.
John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the
resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me,
though he were dead, yet shall he live:
-We remember His death; we celebrate His life.
It is the greatest event in all of human history.
It is the greatest miracle that every happened.
It is the greatest story every told
I. A great courage Vs. 1-3
A. The women come to the tomb to anoint his body.
B. Courageous because of the Jews
1. The disciples were hiding. John 20:19
2. Courageous because of the soldiers
Matt. 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulcher
sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
C. Courageous because of task. “to anoint him”
1. hey came at their first opportunity…sunrise.
2. They were not afraid to be seen attending to Him.
II. A great discovery Vss.4-5
The tomb is empty!
A. They wondered how the stone would be moved
1. A very big stone…vs. 4
a. It had been sealed Matthew 27:62-66
b. It was under guard
B. The stone had been moved. Vs. 4
C. The tomb was empty….
1. Seeing the angel…vs. 5
2. They were amazed “affrighted”
3. What was their first thought…stolen?
III. A great announcement Vs. 6-8
"He is not here!"
1. Ye seek Jesus which was crucified (dead)
2. He is risen!
3. He is not here…not in the tomb.
--He’s still not there…
4. Look where they had laid Him.
C. Go and tell the disciples
D. You will see him…
IV. A great appearance Vs. 9-14
A. Mary Magdalene Vs. 9-11
1. She saw him…
2. She told the disciples that Jesus was alive.
a. They were weeping and mourning. Vs 10
b. There was no joy in a dead Jesus…
c. They didn’t believe her. Vs. 11
B. Disciples on Road to Emmaus Vs. 12-13
1. As recorded in Luke 24:13-35
2. Jesus talked to them of the Scriptures concerning
Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
3. They also tried to tell the others. Vs 13
4. They didn’t believe them either.
C. The Disciples Vs. 14
1. Jesus appeared to all of them (the eleven)
2. He rebuked them for not believing. Vs. 14
V. A great commission Vs. 15-18
B. Preach to every person…
VI. A great conclusion Vs. 19-20
A. The Ascension. Vs. 19
B. The preaching of the Gospel. Vs. 20
Vs. 16 Saved or damned.
What you believe about the resurrection makes all the difference
John 11:25 “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Rom. 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.