Summary: Three ways to develop a deeper commitment to God.
A Growing Commitment
1. Having been convinced of the truth of the gospel, you made a decision to commit yourself to Jesus and the truth (Ephesians 1:13 (quickview) Colossians 1:5-6 (quickview) 1 Peter 1:22 (quickview) ).
3. However, commitment is something that must be maintained and nurtured. In this lesson we will suggest three ways in which we can begin to develop a deeper commitment.
I. A Commitment To Jesus And The Interests Of The Kingdom
A. Jesus called men to follow Him. Why?
3. All spiritual blessings are in Christ (Ephesians 1:3 (quickview) ): redemption (Romans 3:23 (quickview) ), freedom from condemnation (Romans 8:1 (quickview) ), freedom from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2 (quickview) ), sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:2 (quickview) ), given spiritual life (1 Corinthians 15:22 (quickview) ), a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17 (quickview) ), equality (Galatians 3:28 (quickview) ).
II. What Steps Can I Take To Deepen My Commitment?
A. Constantly remind yourself of the motive for your commitment.
"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (1 John 4:10 (quickview) . > Romans 5:8 (quickview) . > John 3:16 (quickview) . > Ephesians 2:8 (quickview) ).
B. Read, study, and pray on a regular basis.
2. Devote time each day to study and research of a particular Bible subject (John 5:39 (quickview) Acts 17:11 (quickview) ). Reading and studying will increase our faith >>Luke 17:5 (quickview) . > Romans 10:17 (quickview) .
3. For those with families, have a gathering/devotional in the evenings.
“Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. And God has set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healing, helps, governments, diversities of tongues" (1 Corinthians 12:27-28 (quickview) ).
"For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called His own servants, and delivered unto them His goods. And unto one He gave five talents, and to another two, and to another one, to every man according to his several ability; and straightaway took His journey" (Matthew 25:14-15 (quickview) ).