Summary: zeal is good. It gives you the boost you need to initiate something.
Truly, I love your commands more than gold, even the finest gold.
Truly, each of your commandments is right. That is why I hate every false way.
Your decrees are wonderful. No wonder I obey them!
As your words are taught, they give light; even the simple can understand them.
I open my mouth, panting expectantly, longing for your commands.
Come and show me your mercy, as you do for all who love your name.
Guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by any evil.
Rescue me from the oppression of evil people; then I can obey your commandments.
Look down on me with love; teach me all your principles.
Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey your law.
O LORD, you are righteous, and your decisions are fair.
Your decrees are perfect; they are entirely worthy of our trust.
I am overwhelmed with rage, for my enemies have disregarded your words.
Your promises have been thoroughly tested; that is why I love them so much.
I am insignificant and despised, but I don’t forget your commandments.
Your justice is eternal, and your law is perfectly true.
As pressure and stress bear down on me, I find joy in your commands.
Your decrees are always fair; help me to understand them, that I may live.
I pray with all my heart; answer me, LORD! I will obey your principles.
I cry out to you; save me, that I may obey your decrees.
I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words.
I stay awake through the night, thinking about your promise.
In your faithful love, O LORD, hear my cry; in your justice, save my life.
Definition: Zeal - “Energetic and unchanging enthusiasm, especially for a cause or idea” – Encarta Dictionary, North America
Zeal is a fire inside your bones and a fuel for movement. It is the inner flame that refuses to allow us to give up. It is the push we feel from the Holy Spirit to do more than just live life – to love beyond salvation into service.
Short term zeal is good. It gives you the boost you need to initiate something.
Things that produce short-term zeal
1. New Salvation
2. A Victory In Your Life
3. A Great Inspiring Sermon
4. A Idea or Thought
Things that steal that zeal
1. No process of regeneration
2. Defeat, challenges, and life stuggles
3. Not immediately acting on God’s Word
4. Being discouraged about your abilities to act on your own ideas
Short-term zeal cannot produce a true passion for God. It is only a momentary spark. Yet, many people seek that spark because:
- In the dark even a moment of light is better than the darkness.
- For a moment, things seem clear, but we soon forget what we once saw and felt in the light, desperately waiting for another spark to come along
- It is the time or wandering between sparks that is the most difficult.
Zeal changes form over time. As is matures it:
- Refines Us
- Allows Us To Live In God’s Light
Mature, Long-Term Zeal:
1. Becomes a light that shines bright enough for us to see things for what they are and act on reality. It does not fool us.
2. It provokes us seeks others to work with and surrenders to the flow of God’s anointing.
3. Creates a desire to see God’s will done in your life and the life of those around you.
4. Requires us to trade our desires for God’s desires – our attributes with God’s attributes.
5. Demands that we hold to the discipline of the Christian life
a. Reading and meditating on God’s Word constantly
b. Speaking to Him at all times
c. Keeping your fellowship and responsibilities at your Church
d. Telling others about what God has done in your life
The zeal of God:
1. Burns in us always, keeping our faith alive, our love strong, and our eyes set on the road ahead. It also
2. Makes us aware of the fact that time is passing and feels urgency to accomplish God’s work
3. Comes only from the Spirit of God living inside of you and your response to His voice.
(Prayer and ministry time)