Summary: The calling of Matthew to follow Jesus - PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). A Profession (vs 14a):
(2), A Challenge (vs 14b)
(3). A Response (vs 14c)
(4). A Gathering (vs 15):
• This photo has been doing the rounds on social network sites.
• It shows an EasyJet plane on a runway;
• Nothing to unusual about that until you look a bit closer.
• EasyJet passenger Adam Wood posted a photo last week on Twitter;
• When he spotted a technician sticking something to his plane’s giant engine.
• The technician is repairing a wing with what appears to be Duct-tape.
• Now Duct-tape is a marvellous product,
• But do you want to look out of your aeroplane window;
• Only to find the wing of the plane has been repaired;
• With a roll of the silvery grey sticky stuff!
Now EasyJet have commented and said;
• The tape that the EasyJet technician used was not, in fact, Duct-tape,
• But a far more powerful form of adhesive known as speed tape.
• It is often used in aviation fixes and was named as such due to its ability;
• To stick to the aircraft at high speeds in extreme wind conditions.
An EasyJet spokesperson said:
“The high speed metallic tape is in place as a result of some cosmetic work that is required to the aircraft paintwork,” the airline replied to him on Twitter. “It is nothing structural and in no way compromises the safety of the aircraft.”
• In 2011 a similar photo of a RyanAir jet wrapped in tape drew attention worldwide.
• But once again it was pointed out that this was special tape that was being used;
• And that such repairs are always temporary.
• A number of years ago I did a couple of parachute jumps for charity;
• We flew up to 3.000ft in a small plane.
• And we were not very reassured;
• When we saw mechanics trying to start the engine using WD40!
• TRANSITION: Those illustrations ask the important question:
• When it comes to flying – make sure your aircraft and pilot are reputable.
• Because if anything goes wrong you might not get a second chance!
• This morning we are starting a new series of talks called; ‘The Gospel Truth’.
• This series of talks will look at some key verses in the New Testament;
• That will help us understand and be confident;
• That when it comes to knowing God, living for God, talking about God;
• And one day standing before God;
• We will be confident and prepared.
• The word ‘Gospel’ is a term used over 75 times in the New Testament.
• While it has various nuances of meaning,
• Its most fundamental meaning from the Greek is “good news.”
• Question: But good news of what?
• Answer: According to the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology,
“the gospel is the joyous proclamation of God’s redemptive activity in Christ Jesus on behalf of man enslaved by sin.”
In plain English I would suggest that the gospel is: