Summary: This message shares our relationship is much like our relationship with our heavenly father.This is a day that we call a day special for our fathers. Is it? Do we really honor our fathers?
A MESSAGE FOR FATHER'S DAY
This is a day that we call a day special for our fathers. Is it? Do we really honor our fathers? Should it be done only one day a year? This message shares our relationship is much like our relationship with our heavenly father. But first consider this:
A LITTLE GIRL ONCE SAID TO HER MOTHER: "Mommy, if Santa Claus brings our presents, and God gives us our daily bread, and Uncle Sam gives us Social Security, why do we keep daddy around?"
SHOPPING FOR DAD'S GIFT
If you think about it, Adam had more trouble than any of the rest of us buying his father a gift for Fathers Day. I mean, what do you get somebody who’s everything? A small boy said, Fathers Day is just like Mothers Day, only you do not spend as much on the gift.
Mark Twain said, When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man learned in 7 years.
I. COMING TO GOD.
We must see the Father son relationship in God and the Church to understand the proper relationship in the earthly family.
1. Today is a day to give dad thanks and praise.
II. TALKING TO THE FATHERS FIRST.
- Fathers many times want to tell their kids it was good enough for my father and me and it is good enough for you. Paul said there were traditions then and now. Not all are good.
- Gal 1:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my Fathers. .
B. FATHERS DO NOT PROVOKE YOUR CHILDREN!
- Eph 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
1. WHY NOT? Paul tells us a second time.
Col 3:21- Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. .
a. They can be discouraged. You need to encourage them.
b. Nurture and admonitions of the Lord.
- Feed them natural food but also spiritual food, admonish to do good earthly matters and admonish them to do spiritual things.
c. The best way to do this is be an example.
- Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh, which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? .
- 1 John 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
III. Now speaking to the Children, We all are some ones son or daughter.
Matt 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honor thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. .
A. Old Testament law was strong.
B. Jesus words were even stronger.
- Matt 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
C: Paul told the children how to treat a minister.
- 1 Tim 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;
D. We often see Pastors and ministers treated with disrespect by children.
1. Does some of it come from what the children hear from the parents?
IV. Today everything seems to be child abuse. However there is a Chastening of the Lord.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastisement not? .
A: Chastisement should be given with love. God always does it to us in love.
V. It does pay to honor and obey your parents.
A. Why? - Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
1. First it is right. - Col 3:6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
2. It keeps the wrath of God off of us.
- Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. .
3. It pleases God. Be as Enoch have a testimony that pleases God.
4. It will help bring long life to you.
- Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. (KJV)
- Eph 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) (KJV)
- Eph 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. (KJV)